Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade advice

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 fortune7

fortune7

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Tell me what I can do on the cheap to make this computer not amazing but nice. From what I can tell it needs more ram at least. From cheap hardware upgrades to freeware advice. I just inherited this computer and I'm trying to upgrade it. Speccy TXT link posted. Thanks!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sYeurgWyEsVT3BJrdaOzD7B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Can you give us a budget to work with?

Edit: There isn't a whole lot that can be done "cheap" with this system. My honest opinion? Scrap the motherboard, CPU, and RAM to see if you can get any money for it. Aside from that, you really need a new processor, motherboard, and RAM to get any effective upgrade.

Edited by MDTechService, 30 September 2012 - 11:58 PM.

If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

This is an older machine, but can still be a good machine for getting online and getting your mail. It wouldn't be worth investing in if you wish to use this for gaming.

You have four slots for RAM with a capacity of 1GB per slot. You have two 256MB modules of PC800-40.

This computer can run in dual channel, so it's worth using matched pairs of RAM. I did a quick search and found 512MB PC3200 modules at Crucial for $18.99 per module, forty dollars will make this a much faster computer. I personally wouldn't invest any more than that, for about three hundred dollars you can purchase a new computer which will be much faster. One of the considerations you should take into account is the age of your machine, and the fact that at its age components begin to breakdown and fail.

Something you should be aware is that if you mix RAM speeds the faster modules will clock down to the speed of the slower module. For this reason I would suggest removing the RAM currently installed and then add the faster modules.

You are using a 32-bit operating system which means that the maximum amount of RAM you can use is 3GB,

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

DC3 pretty much hit it on the spot. You can add some RAM. Anything else would be a waste. Even a new budget computer would run circles around what you have right now.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Do not order the memory that was suggested by dc3. He was probably not aware that the computer uses RDRAM not DDR memory. If you were not around at the time of the transition away from SDRAM you wouldn't know about RDRAM. It wasn't popular due to cost and was soon replaced by DDR memory.

The clue to that one is the Speccy report that says RAM, 512 MB Dual-Channel RDRAM @ 398MHz
If you look in there you will see all the slots are filled. The two with a metal shield are the actual RDRAM memory, The two flat circuit boards with nothing mounted are CRIMMS, Or Continuity RIMMS. This type of memory is a serial form of memory that requires all slots to be filled.

Further you need to match the speed ratings of the old memory and use two same size pieces that match the speed rating of the old memory..

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 October 2012 - 02:21 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Good catch Roger, I did miss that.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

No problem as long as it got caught :)

Regards
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Do not order the memory that was suggested by dc3. He was probably not aware that the computer uses RDRAM not DDR memory. If you were not around at the time of the transition away from SDRAM you wouldn't know about RDRAM. It wasn't popular due to cost and was soon replaced by DDR memory.

The clue to that one is the Speccy report that says RAM, 512 MB Dual-Channel RDRAM @ 398MHz
If you look in there you will see all the slots are filled. The two with a metal shield are the actual RDRAM memory, The two flat circuit boards with nothing mounted are CRIMMS, Or Continuity RIMMS. This type of memory is a serial form of memory that requires all slots to be filled.

Further you need to match the speed ratings of the old memory and use two same size pieces that match the speed rating of the old memory..

Good Luck
Roger

That RDRAm was some of the best Ram I ever used. I could open several browsers with several tabs on a 10 yr old Gateway P4 1.33ghz Samsung 1gb pc800rdram 40ns and the machine just kept chugging along. But yeah it was too expensive. Actually i might have a couple sticks of it lying around.....

OP your best bet will be to increase ram and get an SSD to speed up things but you'll need a Sata card to plug it into

#9 fortune7

fortune7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Per usual you community on here is knowledgeable and friendly. I'm starting to think its donation to a school time.

#10 fortune7

fortune7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

So if I do upgrade the ram what should I be looking for? Since the first suggestion would not work. Thanks :)

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

You look at the memory already in the computer. There should be two pieces with metal shields on them and two slots with bare circuit boards. If all the slots are filled with memory with the metal shield (Heatsink) on them then it gets more expensive.

This page shows both the RDRam and the A Rambus continuity RIMM (CRIMM), also known as terminator or dummy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDRAM. Those are used since all slots have to have memory or a CRIMM in them.

See the white label on the metal shield? That has the necessary information on it. It will have a speed on it such as 800-45. You must match both numbers as I understand it. a 800-60 would not be a match. You will have to search for RDRAM 800-45 and 256Mb as an example in Google.

You could have right now 4 x 128Mb or 2 x 256Mb in the computer. That is the other reason to look and see inside the computer. Speccy does not say.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Edit: rotor got there first.Posted Image

Edited by dc3, 04 October 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Only Sometimes. :)

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I did some looking around and found three online locations where you can purchase the same modules that are installed in your computer.

Memory 4 less New modules at $54.07

Amazon.com Used for $15.00 and up, refurbished for $19.47 and up.

MemoryTen there are the same modules for $19.98.

Edited by dc3, 04 October 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#15 fortune7

fortune7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users