Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Twitter/ FB/ Android malware hack

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 catmean

catmean

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

I've been hacked by whatever's going around this week, (http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/09/24/twitter_direct_message_hack_facebook_youtube_video_links_lead_to_malware.html) and yes, by clicking a link and logging into what I thought was a twitpic app from facebook from a trusted friend who often sends me such things. Here's the problem. I did it on my phone, and yes on my mac using chrome. I never downloaded any .exe files, only gave this facebook app what I thought were my facebook credentials. When I realized what was happening, I changed passwords for both accounts, and revoked app permissions for both as well. Problem solved, right?

48 hours later I appear to be reinfected, and my twitter account is sending direct messages again with spam links. I can only guess two things: 1) it's a chrome extension that's perpetuating the thing or 2) it's the windows partition of my mac (which I haven't been using at all lately) since I run bootcamp on it.

Any suggestions, criticisms (yes I'm a f*g idiot this time and not usually prone to such stupidity), or solutions are welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users