Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Where????????????

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 geologist

geologist

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Prior to carrying out a system restore on my hp desktop I am studying an hp video on the process and the recommendation is to back up my material. It seems to imply that I can backup internally, but I am not sure. Can someone clarify this for me please?
The video can be seen here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00814731&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3934576&tmp_track_link=ot_search

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hello geologist,

Just to clarify, a System Restore, is performed within Windows and only replaces system files and settings from a previous time/date. It does not influence data files such as My Documents, My Music, or photos. I don't believe that this is what you are requesting information about.

A System Recovery, per your video link and what I summize you are talking about, will overwrite the hard drive, including any of your documents, music, and photos. It will return your computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. Before performing a system recovery, you should copy all important files to alternative media (i.e. a different hard drive (not the drive being recovered) or CD and DVD discs).

It looks as if the HP recovery process gives you the option to back up files before the actual recovery ( writing over your hard drive) takes place. My advice to you is backup your files before you attempt the recovery. Why? Because you have more time to search your drive to make sure that all important files are backed up. You are not under pressure to decide in 30 seconds what needs to be saved.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Artrooks, 01 October 2012 - 06:17 PM.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

The recovery, or return to factory settings, is now complete and the computer working well. Problem now is, how do I identify the files containg photos, letters etc, from my Ex. HD? Will have another try before raising another thread. Thanks for the input. :thumbup2:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

If you returned it to factory setting you have lost all the data that was added since it was purchased.

A practice that I follow and will suggest to you is to back up all of your important data to an external form of media, such as another hdd, CDs, DVD, flash drive, or a online storage.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for your reply. I did back up everything to my external hard drive prior to returning the computer to its factory state. The problem is, I dont have the knowhow to get my photos and documents back on the computer.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hello,

In Windows Vista, your My Documents, My Music, My Pictures folders are found under your username profile:

C:\Users\<YourUsername>
  • My Documents
  • My Music
  • My Pictures
  • My Videos

You will have to explore your external hard drive until you find the appropriate files, then copy them back into the proper folders within your profile.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

There are hundreds of items.Is there no quick way of accessing documents and photos on the external hard drive?

#8 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:13 AM

Sorry but I seem to have duplicated this question here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic471149.html/page__p__2863354__fromsearch__1#entry2863354

I will therefore close this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users