Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mccat

mccat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

My problem started a few days ago. Windows XP started freezing after running for a few minutes with no blue screen provided. I would restart it and sometimes it would work fine, other times it would freeze after a few minutes again forcing me to restart. Today it wouldn't boot up at all. At first I thought it might be the power supply but after switching it out the same thing still happened, all the fans come on but nothing happens and there is no POST beep. Switching hard drives also seems to have no effect.

I think it might be the CPU or motherboard but I have no way of checking other than getting another one.

My motherboard model is MSI G41M-P26 LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel
My CPU model is Intel Celeron E3400 Wolfdale 2.6GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core

Edited by mccat, 30 September 2012 - 03:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Disconnect everything except the keyboard and monitor, including the hard drive, CD/DVD drive, expansion cards, and any external devices.

Restart the computer and let us know what happens.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 mccat

mccat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Disconnect everything except the keyboard and monitor, including the hard drive, CD/DVD drive, expansion cards, and any external devices.

Restart the computer and let us know what happens.

Disconnected hard drives and CD/DVD drive (I don't have any other external devices) but the result was the same, power fan, system fan, and CPU fan come on but nothing happens. My CPU fan is also surprisingly loud for some unknown reason.

Edited by mccat, 30 September 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Sounds like the motherboard may be fried. If the motherboard was intact, you would be getting error code beeps. Do you have another system board you can try out with the processor?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#5 mccat

mccat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Sounds like the motherboard may be fried. If the motherboard was intact, you would be getting error code beeps. Do you have another system board you can try out with the processor?

I think its the CPU for two reasons.

The first is it after taking off the CPU fan the metal side of the processor looks sorta burned, and the part where the bottom of the fan touches said metal side has the same markings. The second is I've heard that you wouldn't get any sort of POST beep if the CPU was bad.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to use thermal paste or something as the installation guide doesn't mention having to use any.

Edited by mccat, 01 October 2012 - 12:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users