Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What external hard drives do people like?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

My husband and I have a small network, two Win7 Pro HP Pavilion desktops connected by GigEthernet, plus a wireless laptop connected by a G class router from AT&T U-Verse. We had a networked 1T backup drive from LaCie until last night, when two successive power outages left the LaCie drive blinking helplessly. Fortunately when we bought our HPs, we each bought a 500GB pocket drive; so we're madly backing up to the pocket drives because they're there.

We haven't been happy with LaCie drives. This is the second one that has failed on us; the first one simply never came back up after a vacation (we usually turn things off when we go away). The one which just failed had a corrupted backup partition on it which I have never been able to delete, there was some permission issue that neither I nor LaCie support could solve. So we are looking for backup alternatives.

The first question is: local or cloud? We've experimented with Carbonite but didn't like it, you can't configure it to exclude temporary files. My husband has found something called CrashPlan, which I haven't been able to look at yet; and as someone online said, "There's always S3." Does anyone have any cloud backup solutions they really like, or really don't like?

And if we go for a local networked drive, I don't think we'd buy LaCie again. Can anyone suggest a good alternative for about a terabyte of backup? Advice gratefully accepted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi
Both Western Digital and Seagate have NAS drives that can be configured doe Mirrored or striped.
What that means is what they sell as a 2Tb drive becomes 1Tb when mirrored. Mirrored is safest. Striped means that if either drive dies all is lost.

Rapid Power on and off tends to kill computer equipment. For that reason I suggest a UPS.

For example These drives from WDC.

My Book Duo
Shared, double-safe storage for computers, tablets, and smartphones.

Interface Gigabit Ethernet
Mac OS X Time Machine Compatible
Share files between PC and Mac computers
Automatic backup for unlimited users
Stream to DLNA-compatible devices
Secure remote access from any computer
Mobile apps for tablets and smartphones
RAID 1 enabled for double-safe backup
User serviceable

Seagate NAS Drives

BlackArmor NAS 220

The BlackArmor NAS 220 storage server ships with two reliable, energy-efficient Seagate® hard drives preinstalled and configured in RAID 1 for automatic data mirroring.

Cloud backup? Not for me, Thanks

Good Luck, Hope this helps
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 September 2012 - 01:11 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions; you're quite right about mirroring and UPS, of course. Sigh. The network gets bigger all the time (or, damn that squirrel).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users