Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP dv1000 Multiple versions of Windows fail to start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Todd Martin

Todd Martin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hardware
  • HP dv1000 Laptop
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 60 GB Hitachi HD
  • No external devices are plugged into any port

Software
  • Windows XP Home Edition

Symptoms
  • A formerly functioning computer last week failed to boot the morning after a successful shutdown, staying in the WinXP splash screen, with the progress bar animation active

Attempted Diagnostics / Solutions
  • The following items all start but fail to complete loading their respective versions of Windows. In each case, the media have been successfully tested on another PC.
  • Safe Mode - Fails to go into graphics mode, last message is for loading MUP.SYS
  • Safe Mode with Command Prompt - Fails to go into graphics mode, last message is for loading MUP.SYS
  • Safe Mode with Networking - Fails to go into graphics mode, last message is for loading MUP.SYS
  • Enable Boot Logging - Post boot hang, no NTBOOTLOG.TXT file was present
  • Windows XP Home CD - Dies in character mode screen with status "Starting Windows..."
  • Windows XP Professional CD - Dies in character mode screen with status "Starting Windows..."
  • Windows Vista Ultimate CD, 32-bit edition
  • Windows 7 Ultimate CD, 32-bit edition
  • Windows Ultimate Boot CD - Dies in WinXP splash screen
  • Windows Defender Offline CD, 32-bit edition - Dies in splash screen (Win7 is its core, I believe), animation halts
  • Windows Defender Offline USB Flash Drive, 32-bit edition - Dies in splash screen (Win7 is its core, I believe), animation halts

The following diagnostics programs were run on the laptop
  • CHKDSK /F /R (via NTFS4Dos) - found and repaired 1 unused cluster marked as allocated
  • SpinRite 6.0 - Completely scanned drive at level 4, not a single error
  • MemTest86+ - Eight hours of running, no errors detected
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic - Four hours of running, no errors detected

The following diagnostics were run on the laptop drive running as a secondary drive in a functioning Win7 Ultimate, 64-bit installation. Each tool was manually updated to the current version and/or definitions files as of 2012-09-28:
  • Microsoft Security Essentials, full-scan
  • MalwareBytes Anti-Malware full-scan
  • Spybot Search-and-Destroy, full-scan

Additionally, while in the Win7 PC, the drive was completely defragmented using UltraDefrag v5

At this point I thought that maybe the PC could not go into graphics mode based upon the similar hang point across multiple versions of Windows. So, I created Live CD's for Puppy Linux and Ubuntu. Each boots and goes into graphics mode successfully, so that theory is shot.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what to try next?

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2012 - 12:06 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Well this one is interesting. If you can boot into Linux/Ubuntu, access it as a storage drive and back up your data to an external device.

I'm not quite sure what the root of this issue is. Once your data is backed up, reformat the disk to NTFS using the Ubuntu disk utility. After the disk has been formatted, attempt to boot a Windows install disk and let us know what happens.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 Todd Martin

Todd Martin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Well this one is interesting. If you can boot into Linux/Ubuntu, access it as a storage drive and back up your data to an external device.

I'm not quite sure what the root of this issue is. Once your data is backed up, reformat the disk to NTFS using the Ubuntu disk utility. After the disk has been formatted, attempt to boot a Windows install disk and let us know what happens.

Was hoping my loaner laptop and its spare hard drive would have come back this weekend, but alas, no. Never loan a laptop to a family member, I guess.

I'll move the drive into another Windows machine and create a backup image - my lifetime experience in Linux is less than two hours, so I won't be doing the backup/restore from there.

#4 Todd Martin

Todd Martin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Officially giving up on this machine ever running Windows again. It failed all versions with the original HD, no HD, an HD partitioned to NTFS by GParted, and an HD which had nothing on it (DBAN erased MBR, Partition Table, etc.)

Ubuntu seems to function OK on it for very basic operations. However, the Update Manager reports 145 updates are available, but trying to install the updates fails with a message of "Requires installation of untrusted packages", and the Details is a screenful of crap about gnome, ghostscript, cups, api-transport, etc. At least I know I'm still not interested in Ubuntu. Might try a flavor of MINT, but this PC is pretty much dead to me now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users