Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery "Drive"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 H Max Robinson

H Max Robinson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

On a Dell laptop I've had around awhile, I get error messages that say the recovery drive (virtual) is running out of space. Indeed, looking at "Computer," it shows up red with 148 kB free of 6 gigabytes. Can I increase its size? Will Disk Director help? It doesn't seem to affect applications; it's annoying, though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

You should be able to do this just using the tools built into Windows, and, since you posted in this forum, I assume you are running Windows 7.
You don't say how big your hard drive is but you should be able to double the recovery partition to say 12 Gb without a problem. From what you say, your hard drive is divided into two partitions - one, the smaller one, called recovery, the other called 'C' or 'Main' or some such. What you need to do is first create some spare space from your main drive and then increase the size of the recovery partition by this amount.

Start by right clicking on the 'Computer' icon on your desktop, then click on 'Manage' and then 'Disk Management'. This brings up a screen which has your drives and various parameters listed at the top, and a 'picture' of them below. Right click on your 'C' drive in the list, then click on 'Shrink'. After a moment or two, you will be told how much you can shrink it by. Assuming that this number is something more than 6,000Mb (Note, the value given is in Megabytes), change the number in the 'Shrink by' box to 6000, then click on the 'Shrink' button. It will actually shrink your 'C' drive by the binary number nearest 6,000 Mb.

When it has finished doing this, in the diagram below the listing you will see that the hard drive is now divided into three pieces, one of which is unallocated. Now right click on your recovery drive, and then click on 'Expand'. A wizard will start up which shows the maximum you can expand this drive by. Accept this figure, click expand and this 'spare' space will be transferred into the recovery drive. Exit computer manager and you are finished.

Alternatively, I would be curious as to why the contents of the recovery drive are getting bigger over time. It may be that your system is saving updates into it, which is well and good and will save much downloading if you have to do a rebuild. If it is saving some of your work or data into it, I would consider moving that into your main drive to create space on the recovery partition.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users