Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vpn backup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

would it make sense to do a backup over vpn, or if i wanted to, transfer data back and forth?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

Secure Remote access for network maintenance (backup's, network troubleshooting etc)is very bennificial for an administrator. It gives you 24/7 access to work when the network is idle (when everyone goes home), when traffic is minimal or when something crashes when your on lunch. Server backups should be autonomus and daily, a VPN would allow offsite data storage to a management site or to the "cloud". Not trying to sound like a salesman but it makes my job allot easier.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 29 September 2012 - 10:50 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

I set up a vpn server on my xp machine, and am trying to connect to it from my windows 7 laptop. It does not seem to be working. I get this error after trying to login:

The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server. Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify your username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Please contact the Administrator of the RAS server and notify them of this error.

I believe i have the connection type set to automatic.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

I need to know what VPN server software you are using and what VPN client software you are using.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

i am not really using any software, besides what comes with the OS for working with vpns. do i need software?

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

No you can use the Windows XP pro VPN Software. When you configured the VPN server on the XP machine did you set up any additional authentication (PPTP or L2TP/IPSec) or just use the default username and password?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

i don't remember setting any of that up, so i wanna say the defaults are currently set.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Do you have the same username and password on both machines? Or did you configure the user account you are using to allow remote access?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

they have the same username, but not password. i believe i have allowed remote access, as well as allowed vpn for the ports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users