Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Does not boot

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Notsoanonymous

Notsoanonymous

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hello,
I have a problem! One of my old computer who was running windows Vista just decided to stop working, corrupted registry due to a virus, could not save it. Long story short i formatted my C: drive (D: drive had all my backups) and decided to install Windows 7 (Ultimate) via CD (because i had no Vista CD). It worked fine and booted but, i decided to reboot it because it was kinda slow and then i had an error saying Windows\System32\Config\System was missing or corrupted. I decided to reinstall Win7 but this time, after the starting Windows screen it kept gving a 0xc00000e9 error. I reinstalled again (and formatted again) but this time it just gives a BSOD after the starting windows screen or just a plain black screen, reboots and then starts again, shutdowns. Like a reboot loop. I tried booting Linux Mint from a usb flash drive and it works correctly, what's the problem with Windows? I'd like to fix it so i can give this computer to one of my friend whose computer no longer work (motherboard prolem). What should i do? Thanks for helping.

Edit : It now gives a Missing Bootmgr "press ctrl+alt+del to reboot" message when attempting to boot from harddrive (usb is linux mint and cd is windows 7 cd)
Edit2 : Starting to think HDD might be dead, i have one with two partitions but, i can still play and check all my backups in the D: partition without problem via USB linux mint.

Edited by Notsoanonymous, 29 September 2012 - 08:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 asitha

asitha

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

the best thing you can do is format your windows and re install your OS

#3 Notsoanonymous

Notsoanonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Well i'll reformat and re-re-reinstall and check if it works, if not i'll just install Mint 13.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

If the USB Mint Linux runs fine, then the motherboard may not be the problem.

The first thing I would do is check the hard drive that you are installing windows onto using the manufacturer's diagnostic (DOS) software.

Please read and follow these instructions to create and run a bootable DOS CD to test your hard drives: Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics.
  • If your computer has more than one hard drive, please test them all.
    • Note: I would not run the Long\Extended test on a Solid State Drive (SSD).
    • See the SSD drive manufacturer's website for possible compatible diagnostic tools.
  • All mechanical hard drives should "Pass" the Extended\Long test without errors.
  • Any reported errors should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Notsoanonymous

Notsoanonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

Well thanks for the help but i fixed it myself, took my friend's hard drive and stored mine to use it later on another computer and used his installation CD, mine was corrupted it seems. Everything works now and he told me he had no problems.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Glad you are up and going. Thanks for letting us know. :)

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Notsoanonymous

Notsoanonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

Well looks like i was celebrating too fast, he just called and it seems windows crashed and took him to the boot selector screen (F12 key on bios) after clicking on hard disk it just gaved the starting windows screen and then back to bios booting screen and then computer repair. What may cause this? Everything installed correctly! Could it be a virus?

EDIT : Friend came and gave me the computer back to see if i could do something, I tried a system restore up to the point he installed AVAST! and it is still stuck in reboot loop.

Edited by Notsoanonymous, 30 September 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#8 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hello Notsoanonymous,

It is possible that the hard drive is corrupt. please follow Artrooks instructions on checking your hard drive

Please read and follow these instructions to create and run a bootable DOS CD to test your hard drives: Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics.

• If your computer has more than one hard drive, please test them all.
    • Note: I would not run the Long\Extended test on a Solid State Drive (SSD).
    • See the SSD drive manufacturer's website for possible compatible diagnostic tools.
  • All mechanical hard drives should "Pass" the Extended\Long test without errors.
  • Any reported errors should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

Please report back after diagnosing the hard drive.

Scott M.

Edited by 589661, 30 September 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#9 Notsoanonymous

Notsoanonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Well i don't really understand what i need to do here, english is not my native language... How do i know if my Hard drive is SSD or HDD? I can't boot windows.

#10 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hello Notsoanonymous,

I am sorry. I did not take into account that English may not be tour native tongue. An SSD also known as a Solid State Disk is a hard drive that has no moving parts inside. They are often much more expensive and a specialized drive. If it is you would know because you would have purchased it with a purpose.

More than likely you are using an HDD or Hard Disk Drive.

Do you know the manufacturer of the hard drive? If so just simply follow the instructions on the webpage that was given in the last post for that particular drive.

What is your native language, maybe that page can be translated into your language using Google's page translate tool to assist you in repair.

Scott

#11 Notsoanonymous

Notsoanonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Well i'll open my computer and check the hard drive, i have one with 3 partitions. Computer is ACER, bios is PHOENIX, Hard drive has a ACER 2007-1 small sticker on it, i assume it's a ACER one?

#12 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hello Notsoanonymous,

Acer does not manufacture their own hard drives. Manufacturers include seagate, maxtor, western digital, hitachi, toshiba, samsung, ibm, fujitsu, and intel.

If you can post a picture of the top of your hard drive I would be more than happy to help you find out who the manufacturer is.

Scott M.

#13 Notsoanonymous

Notsoanonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

Sorry for being such a rookie, I never opened a computer before. I snapped some photos with my cellphone and camera, if you can't read what's on it i'll gladly take some other. Thanks for your help. http://imgur.com/a/rtW49#0

I assume this is Western Digital, right?

Edited by Notsoanonymous, 30 September 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#14 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Hello Notsoanonymous,

No worries about being a "rookie". We all have to start somewhere and this forum is for everyone, those with years of experience and those with hours.

Yes this is a Western Digital HDD. so follow the steps in the link pertaining to this particular brand of hard drive.
*Note you will want to follow the instructions that are for the "older IDE drives" as your drive is an IDE drive. It says to use the Hitachi DFT software. Just follow the instructions using that piece of software.

Scott M.

#15 Notsoanonymous

Notsoanonymous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

So all i have to do is to burn this file : https://www.box.com/shared/gl0fifqgj4 on a BLANK DVD, boot my computer on the dvd and perform the check?

Also burning a 1mo file on a 4,3 GB DVD-R (not RW) will block me from burning anything else on it right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users