Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paging File Minimum set at 2MB

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rdy4Eternity

Rdy4Eternity

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D800 (Intel Pentium ®M, 1.70GHz, 1.69GHz, 512MB Ram) running MS Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3. The HD is 37.2GB with 23.2GB free. The space available is 25906MB.

On the Virtual Memory tab of System Properties the total paging file for all drives contains the following data:

Minimum allowed: 2MB
Recommended: 766MB
Currently Allocated: 2048MB

My question is, is it normal for the minimum to be set so low? If not, how can it be changed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

1) Are you having any problems with your system? If not, don't worry about the pagefile
2) You only have 512 Mb ram installed. If you are trying to get better performance you should add more ram.

#3 Rdy4Eternity

Rdy4Eternity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

I keep getting low paging file and low virtual memory errors. I have ordered 1GB Ram. Hopefully installing it will resolve all issues. It is frustrating since I have virtually no programs installed on this computer. I even removed most of the Windows "extras" like games, messenger, and outlook express since I only use this computer to play my Nancy Drew games from Her Interactive.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:52 AM

Uninstalling software will not effect ram usage or improve performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users