Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Fan 100% No POST

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NightShack0

NightShack0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

I recently bought a new video card "XFX AMD 6870" and when I try to turn on the computer, the fan goes to 100% and the computer beeps like 5 times.

The weird thing is that, I can make it work by switching the power supply off and on, and turn on the computer and it works, but the next time I shut it down and try to turn it on again, the same thing happens.

What can cause this problem? Because after it's booted up by switching the power supply off and on, it works completely, without any problem at all, it just never wants to boot up correctly the first time without doing that to the power supply.

GPU: XFX AMD 6870
Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE
CPU: AMD Athlon II x3 435
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hi NightShack0,

I assume that you installed the original drivers for the graphics card. If you haven't done it, it's worth doing in first place. By the way, I would recommend going to the manufacturer's website to download the most up-to-date drivers (you will be allowed to download drivers once registered - http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Help/Support.aspx)

Then, I would recommend entering your BIOS (usually by pressing F2 when the first screen appears) and resetting all setting to default (most safe option).

Then, if these do not help, I can think of two possibilities here: not strong enough power supply unit or not powerful enough processor.

I checked on Asus website (http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/M3A770DE/) that your motherboard runs a BIOS from AMI. Then I looked up the beep codes for AMI BIOS and here they are:

AMI BIOS

Beep Code/s Meaning

1 short beep Failure on DRAM refresh

4 short beeps System timer failure

5 short beeps Failure on Processing

6 short beeps Keyboard failure

7 short beeps Removable devices Error ( USB, Floppy etc)

So logically thinking, if you can hear five beeps, it seems like your processor may be struggling.

Please try the first two steps and let us know how are you doing. We can think of the latter steps if those two won't work.

Best of luck.

#3 NightShack0

NightShack0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi NightShack0,

I assume that you installed the original drivers for the graphics card. If you haven't done it, it's worth doing in first place. By the way, I would recommend going to the manufacturer's website to download the most up-to-date drivers (you will be allowed to download drivers once registered - http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Help/Support.aspx)

Then, I would recommend entering your BIOS (usually by pressing F2 when the first screen appears) and resetting all setting to default (most safe option).

Then, if these do not help, I can think of two possibilities here: not strong enough power supply unit or not powerful enough processor.

I checked on Asus website (http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/M3A770DE/) that your motherboard runs a BIOS from AMI. Then I looked up the beep codes for AMI BIOS and here they are:

AMI BIOS

Beep Code/s – Meaning

1 short beep – Failure on DRAM refresh

4 short beeps – System timer failure

5 short beeps – Failure on Processing

6 short beeps – Keyboard failure

7 short beeps – Removable devices Error ( USB, Floppy etc)

So logically thinking, if you can hear five beeps, it seems like your processor may be struggling.

Please try the first two steps and let us know how are you doing. We can think of the latter steps if those two won't work.

Best of luck.

Hey, thanks for the help.

I have actually now counted correctly and the beeps are like this:

2 beeps -> short pause -> 8 beeps - > 1-3 seconds approximately - > 1 POST-like beep

So it's 2 beeps, then 8, and then 1

To make it even weirder, I tested my graphics card on my brother's PC and it works perfectly. But then, I tested his graphics card on my computer, and it also works perfectly.... Tested his RAM too (and made a memtest on mine before).. I flashed the newest BIOS just in case, and tried resetting all BIOS settings (and CMOS battery too)

His graphics card is a 560 Ti which is a LOT more power-hungry than mine (AMD 6870), so it can't be the power supply either (which is 620W continous btw)

I'm confused because it doesn't make much sense. Any idea?

Edited by NightShack0, 30 September 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#4 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

Hi,

I know it may sound silly, but did you install the drivers? Also, did you encounter any problems with date/time or any other device settings lost? I am thinking of possibility that the CMOS battery is getting weaker and once you switch the power off & on there is still some electric charge on the motherboard so it does remember the parameters & settings for the graphics card.

The last think that comes to my mind is incompatibility with motherboard or wrong BIOS settings but I am afraid you would need to ask someone else about it. It may be a good idea to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard (http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Help/ContactUs.aspx)they may have ideas.

Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users