Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which of these cards offers the highest performance at the best value?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these offers the best value? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose one

1. MSI N670 Power Edition (OC 670) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. EVGA GTX 670 FTW (OC 670) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. A 680 reference card (0 votes [0.00%])

4. An overclocked 680 card (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hyperspin

Hyperspin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm currently in the process of building my first rig. I need to choose a graphics card, but I can't seem to decide which one to go with. I had my sights set on MSI's N670 Power Edition, but many people are now telling me to go with EVGA instead. Can I get some feedback on this? What are your opinions?

Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Internal Hardware to the more appropriate forum
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 September 2012 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

The answer to that question depends a great deal on what you're going to use your computer for.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

As well as the specs of the computer. I would go EVGA brand wise-stay away from brands such as MSI, in my opinion, ive had to many issues with them. As far as performance, a overclocked 680 will give you the best performance but the 670s will be cheaper.

Edited by the_patriot11, 29 September 2012 - 07:16 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Hyperspin

Hyperspin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

Sorry about that. My intended uses are gaming, schoolwork, programming, and the like. I'm going to be running an i5-3570k thats eventually going to be OC'd to at least 4.5Ghz sometime in the future, and I'd like a card that runs cool while delivering killer performance. The reason I'm leaning more toward the 670 instead of the 680 is because I've read that the performance gap is negligible and can easily be overcome be overclocking.

I'm currently looking at this card, the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 OC edition:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4211#na

What do you think?

Core components
----
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 OC Edition

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced

PSU: SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W <--- (Chosen for headroom, quiet operation, avoidance of maximum load, future-proofing).
----

Storage and Media components
----
HDD: WD Caviar Black SATA 1 TB 7200 RPM [SALVAGED]

SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III

Optical Drive: LG SuperMultiblue internal Bluray disc rewriter [SALVAGED]

Optical Drive: DVD Supermulti Drive [SALVAGED]

----

Cooling components
----
Modular Liquid Cooler: CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

[x4]120mm fans for push-pull RAD configuration: COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 12CM Silent Cooling Fan with Pulse Width Modulation

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM
----

Edited by Hyperspin, 29 September 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

The problem with overclocking, especially if you do it yourself, is it raises the Temperature of the card. Now, with a factory overclocked card, they normally come with improved cooling (better to overcome this, but if you take card that isnt factory overclocked, then it rasies the temperature of the card which in turn lowers its life span, and increases the system temperature of your computer, and on top of that if you do something wrong, you run the risk of frying the card. And if you take a factory overclocked card, keep in mind it has boosted cooling to improve it to the temperature its made to run on-you may not be able to safely boost it any higher.

It looks like your putting a lot of time and effort into this system, I personally, unless your an experienced overclocker, would not risk overclocking it until you learn, find an old pentium 4 setup and cheap card to experiment with before trying it out on something like this, you can usually find them at garage sales dirt cheap, and if you happen to fry something on accident, your not out anything, and youve learned what not to do with your new system. I would find a card that will do what you need it to, without overclocking. the 670 OC (factory) should be able to do what you need it to, as well as the 680 on up. I would just do the 680 or a 680 with a factory overclock. And if you decide you really really want to overclock-investing in third party GPU cooling would be a good idea.

As far as PSUs, that silverstone on paper looks ok, but Ive never really seen them in action so I can't speak to its reliability. For a 1000 watt PSUs though, I imagine most of them would have to be decent quality, though it seems overkill, even for OCing, unless your planning on doing SLI. With that being said, Im going to suggest [url=www.newegg.com/Product/heatsinks etc)Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171062"]this[/url"http://] Just for food for thought-I use coolermaster PSUs all the time, and have never had a problem with them, at all, and trust them 100%. Its a little pricier (ok a lot pricier) but its what I personally would use. Again, I dont think anythings wrong with the silverstone-Im just throwin out another option.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hmm Patriot does have a point about overclocking, have you had any experience with overclocking?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Hyperspin

Hyperspin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hmm Patriot does have a point about overclocking, have you had any experience with overclocking?

EDIT: Double post by accident. See post below.

Edited by Hyperspin, 30 September 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#8 Hyperspin

Hyperspin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Admittedly, I have not. This is my very first build. I was referring to "overclocking" as in factory-overclocked cards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users