Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hello!

I have a 500GB (actually 465.76GB) Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External Hard Drive. I want to divide it into 2 partitions: One for miscellaneous data (approx 50GB) and the other for Backups (415.76GB).

When both of the partitions were Logical, EaseUS wouldn't let me use 7.8MB of the disk; that 7.8MB remained unallocated. It was impossible to extend the 50GB partition into this space.

However, upon making my 50GB partition Primary, I was able to then merge it with the 7.8MB of unallocated space.

:question: Why did this happen?
:question: For external hard drives, does it really matter which type of partition I use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

The simple answer (maybe oversimplified) is that a disk using an MBR only has space to record the location of 4 partitions. When you make logical partitions, it makes extra data tables in the boot records of the logical partitions so you can store more than 4 partition's on the disk and it also makes an extended partition which encapsulates the logical partitions. The drive needs to reserve space for that extra partition table called an Extended Boot Record (EBR). Why 7.8MB? In addition to the EBR there can be issues with cylinder alignment for helping overall performance of the drive (7.8MB is probably the size of one cylinder).

Not so simple answer involves how multiple EBRs work and why cylinders are aligned and the arguments that I have seen calling this "stupid" :)

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users