Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

This might be a foolish question but here goes.I dual boot windows 7 and 8 which went smooth with the help I got here.I have AVG free on windows 7 and I can scan either os using the specific scan function.Now here is the foolish part,does AVG protect
both OS or do I have to install AVG on Windows 8.Thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi Plumber,

Windows 8 comes with a built-in anti-virus (Windows Defender) which uses the same scan engine as MS Security Essentials. Have a read here: Antivirus on Windows 8: Looking at Your Options.

Scanning Windows 8 partition from within Windows 7 (AVG) will not scan the Windows 8 Registry, so yes, each OS should have its own AV. It is up to you whether or not to keep Windows Defender in Windows 8 or use a different free or paid anti-virus.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanx for the quick response,told ya it was a foolish question.I'll install a free one.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

There is no such thing as a foolish question. Good luck with your Dual Boot OS. :)

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users