Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Crystall

Crystall

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:34 AM

I believe this laptop may have been infected with a virus. Sudden blue screen, shut itself down, then rebooted to the black screen that says:

###########

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk (3F0)

F2 System Diagnostics

############

Unit is 9 months old. HP says to send it in for a warranty replacement. However, I would like to be able to retrieve the files on it, and I think it is infected rather than defective.

I have a boot disk, it can get it to the screen with advance boot options but "REPAIR" is *NOT* one of the listed options.

Safe Mode begins loading files and then ends at "\windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys"

Haven't tried anything beyond that.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

Hello Crystall and Welcome -
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Continue to try and get a Safe Mode Menu and try for Last known Good ........ or just Safe Mode if you can, and keep us updated -

Thanks -

#3 Crystall

Crystall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

Continue to try and get a Safe Mode Menu and try for Last known Good ........ or just Safe Mode if you can, and keep us updated -

Thanks -

In Safe Mode it tried to load all of the drivers and got hung up at "\windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys"

I let it pause for about a half hour then gave up.

When I selected the "last good known" the windows logo at the bottom of the screen came up as if it was trying to do something, but didn't produce any results. Should I try letting it run longer?

Thanks for your assistance.

#4 Crystall

Crystall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:48 AM

Thanks -

In Safe Mode it tried to load all of the drivers and got hung up at "\windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys"

I let it pause for about a half hour then gave up.

When I selected the "last good known" the windows logo at the bottom of the screen came up as if it was trying to do something, but didn't produce any results. Should I try letting it run longer?

Thanks for your assistance.

I just ran the "Last Good Known Configuration" and this time it came up with something after about ten seconds. It says this:

########
<ERROR>

An error has occurred.

ERROR: F3-F100-0003

An Error has occurred.

Please press [OK] to turn off the computer.

###########

I pressed the "OK" button and it turned the computer off.

I booted it back up (still using the boot disk, it does nothing without it) and ran the "Last Good Known" again.

This time it's had six minutes so far with no results, will keep watching to report whatever it does or doesn't do next.

All I can find referring to the error code F3-F100-0003 is for a Toshiba. The Boot Disk was made using a Toshiba, might have something to do with it.

After 45 minutes, a screen came up that says :

######

Selecting a process

0 toshiba recover wizard

0 system recovery options

I select the system recovery options (Since it's an HP, not a Toshiba)

Immediately it gives a black screen with a white cursor. Nothing else yet. (2:54 a.m.)

At 2:58, a window appears, "System Recovery Options"

asks me first to select the keyboard input method ... choose US, hit next (2:59 a.m.)

At 3:02, a window appears "System Recovery Options" again

with these options:

0 Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows. Select an operating to repair
If your operating system isn't listed, click Load Drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks.

(There is no operating system listed, but if I click "load drivers not sure what will come up ... Toshiba drivers? Or HP?

0 Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier.

(I have no recollection of having created a system image at any time)

So ... I'm going to take a leap of faith and select the "load drivers" option as the lesser of two evils. (3:07 a.m.)

That one failed because I don't know what file I'm looking for. In the "Computer" window it shows two drives.

One is a hard disk drive called "Boot (x) and another is a CD Drive.

I did find the drivers folder. There IS a disk.sys file in it. Would I have to add the driver files one by one?

Edited by Crystall, 29 September 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

Hello again Crystall -
I am posting from Australia, so there is a bit of a "time warp" as it is 9 PM Saturday here now -
Still checking those errors, but most do seem Toshiba related (handy for my Toshiba) -

Are the files etc. that you want to keep very important, or just a few games etc ??
How much important things would you lose, and has HP / Dealer just offered a swap or attempted repair for you ??
Have you ever made a hard copy backup on CD since you purchased the computer ??

Thanks -

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi Crystall,

Please answer noknojon's questions first.

In the "Computer" window it shows two drives. One is a hard disk drive called "Boot (x) and another is a CD Drive.

It is not finding your hard drive. Boot (x) is your Windows 7 Repair Disc and the other, your CD Drive.

All I can find referring to the error code F3-F100-0003 is for a Toshiba. The Boot Disk was made using a Toshiba

It's also possible that the HP has a Toshiba branded hard drive inside. My understanding is that HP uses Toshiba, Western Digital, and Seagate drives.

Here are a series of steps that you can try (recommended by HP): Resolve Boot Device not Found Error Message.
  • Try steps #1-4.
  • Please hold off on step #5 as others may have additional ideas regarding possible data recovery.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Crystall

Crystall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hello again Crystall -
I am posting from Australia, so there is a bit of a "time warp" as it is 9 PM Saturday here now -
Still checking those errors, but most do seem Toshiba related (handy for my Toshiba) -

Are the files etc. that you want to keep very important, or just a few games etc ??
How much important things would you lose, and has HP / Dealer just offered a swap or attempted repair for you ??
Have you ever made a hard copy backup on CD since you purchased the computer ??

Thanks -

To answer your questions, noknojon,

There are important files on the HD that I would like to recover.

HP offered to swap the hard drive for a "refurbished" one, which I don't trust because if the originals are carp then so are the refurbs.

No, I have never made a hard copy backup on CD after purchase.

Also, the laptop came with no disk of any kind, not even a boot disk. The one that I have was made for a Toshiba laptop, Win 7 64 bit - the HP is the same OS.

#8 Crystall

Crystall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hi Crystall,

Please answer noknojon's questions first.

In the "Computer" window it shows two drives. One is a hard disk drive called "Boot (x) and another is a CD Drive.

It is not finding your hard drive. Boot (x) is your Windows 7 Repair Disc and the other, your CD Drive.

All I can find referring to the error code F3-F100-0003 is for a Toshiba. The Boot Disk was made using a Toshiba

It's also possible that the HP has a Toshiba branded hard drive inside. My understanding is that HP uses Toshiba, Western Digital, and Seagate drives.

Here are a series of steps that you can try (recommended by HP): Resolve Boot Device not Found Error Message.
  • Try steps #1-4.
  • Please hold off on step #5 as others may have additional ideas regarding possible data recovery.

Thanks Artrooks. The questions were answered to noknojon.

I have done the four steps you requested. The results are:

1. Reset the BIOS default settings. -- Done, without incident

2. Reseat the hard drive. -- Done several times, without incident and without an orchestra striking up "Hallelujah" either (sadly)

3. Run HP hard disk test. -- says "hard disk not exist" -- which is odd because the first day it ran and said it was there . The "run-in test" ran and passed with 4,196,061,184 bytes of system memory and says "Memory test pass" "Hard Disk Not Exist". Press <Esc> to continue.

Next screen says "run-in test failed" "Boot Device Not Found (3FO)"

System Diagnostics

f1 System Information
f2 Start-up test
f3 Run-in Test
f4 Hard Disk Test

f11 Error log

ESC Exit

As to instruction #4: Had chat with HP support. They said only an HP startup disk will boot to recovery options. I believe the HD is a Hitachi, looked at it while re-seating the HD but can't swear to it. The HP tech said it's a failed hard drive and again offered to swap the HD but I need the files on it.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hi -
:( Sorry but after searching dozens of related Error messages, even the employees at HP say it is a XXXX H / Drive -

Unless there is someone else (like Artrooks) that can help with removing your H / Drive and fitting it to a working computer I have no further answers
Even then HP employees say to send it back under warranty for a Crappy refurb, or buy a new H / Drive -

There was ""Half a chance only"" that you may get it to boot from a CD, but if the Hard drive is not recognised, this is about useless -

Sorry but ........

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Crystall,

I'm afraid that I am in agreement with noknojon and HP Service that there's a good chance that the hard drive is dead.

The best way to confirm (or disprove) that would be to remove the drive from the notebook and attach it to a working computer using an inexpensive USB adapter like this. If the notebook hard drive is recognized on the working computer, it isn't dead and you may be able to access your data. If, on the other hand, the notebook drive is not recognized, then it is probably electronically or mechanically dead.

Unit is 9 months old. HP says to send it in for a warranty replacement

Ultimately, you should send the computer back for warranty replacement.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 Crystall

Crystall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi -
:( Sorry but after searching dozens of related Error messages, even the employees at HP say it is a XXXX H / Drive -

Unless there is someone else (like Artrooks) that can help with removing your H / Drive and fitting it to a working computer I have no further answers
Even then HP employees say to send it back under warranty for a Crappy refurb, or buy a new H / Drive -

There was ""Half a chance only"" that you may get it to boot from a CD, but if the Hard drive is not recognised, this is about useless -

Sorry but ........

Thanks for trying, noknojon. It being relatively new, I was hoping for some kind of miracle. But alas... :(

#12 Crystall

Crystall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Crystall,

I'm afraid that I am in agreement with noknojon and HP Service that there's a good chance that the hard drive is dead.

The best way to confirm (or disprove) that would be to remove the drive from the notebook and attach it to a working computer using an inexpensive USB adapter like this. If the notebook hard drive is recognized on the working computer, it isn't dead and you may be able to access your data. If, on the other hand, the notebook drive is not recognized, then it is probably electronically or mechanically dead.

Unit is 9 months old. HP says to send it in for a warranty replacement

Ultimately, you should send the computer back for warranty replacement.

Thank you for your efforts, Artrooks. I have a SATA enclosure with USB adapter and though I can't remember how I got the working laptop to find the defective one, it did and said it was ... (can't remember the word but inaccessible in any case). My hope is to get the files I need from it before returning the hard drive for a "new" (refurbished) one.

Are you saying that HP should be obligated to replace the entire laptop with a new one? I'm afraid getting an entirely refurbished laptop could have more parts to worry about than just the hard drive. But having no idea what caused the failure (motherboard issue or other hardware failure) I'm also afraid that a new hard drive could fail too.

Is there any way to get the disk out of the hard drive itself to retrieve data from it? If it's some part besides the disk itself that's bad, would it be possible to put the disk into another HD unit that I know the SATA/USB cable DOES work on?

Also, the SATA/USB unit says it's compatible with anything from Win 2000 up to Vista, and size up to 500 gb. The failed drive is Win 7, with 640 gb. Could it be a problem with lacking a driver or too little capacity that's making it unreadable? The manufacturer has a driver on their website, but it has .rar files and when extracted, shows no driver compatible with Win 7. In other words, do you know if there's a driver SATA/USB enclosure for a Win 7 HD bigger than 500 gb capacity out there, or should it not need a driver at all for Win 7?

Not going to give up until I've exhausted all possibilities. Though it does indeed seem futile.

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Are you saying that HP should be obligated to replace the entire laptop with a new one?

No. They would probably just replace the hard drive.

Don't forget, you would need a way to reinstall the OS, either through a hidden recovery partition on the new disk they (HP) provided or via a set of recovery disks.

Is there any way to get the disk out of the hard drive itself to retrieve data from it?

Yes; however, this would have to be done by a professional data recovery facility and would be very costly.

the SATA/USB unit says it's compatible with anything from Win 2000 up to Vista, and size up to 500 gb. The failed drive is Win 7, with 640 gb. Could it be a problem with lacking a driver or too little capacity that's making it unreadable?

Possibly, but I'm really not sure.

Idea: Put the hard drive into another desktop that has a free SATA port on the motherboard. That would work as a test. If you don't have a desktop with a free SATA port, maybe a friend does.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users