Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get WPA password

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 arsarcanum3

arsarcanum3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

EDIT: I am running Windows XP.

Basically I have two routers. One is a Belkin connected to my modem (192.168.2.1) and the other is the ASUS WL330gE (based on the CD they gave me, it should be 192.168.1.220). An ethernet cable from Belkin is connected to the ASUS one so that both can get internet from the same modem.

When I try to find my WPA password when connected to ASUS by going to 192.168.2.1, it brings me to the Belkin one and gives me the Belkin password instead of ASUS. When I go to 192.168.1.220, it doesn't load.

I used the ASUS CD and installed the ASUS utility to try and get in that way. It didn't let me on because it said something to the tune of: "Adjust your network if your computer’s subnet does not match that of the ASUS Portable Wireless AP." I believe it's because my Belkin is 192.168.2.X while the ASUS is still on 192.168.1.X.

I tried the WirelessKeyView tool but it showed no keys at all. I use the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility but for some reason it's seen as "3rd party" and thus no key.

Any suggestions? I assume people will help me change the subnet or whatnot.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by arsarcanum3, 29 September 2012 - 12:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:35 AM

Does the belkin have wireless? Are both routers configred as gateways or did you set the asus up as an access point?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 arsarcanum3

arsarcanum3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

No idea. I just plugged the wire from the Belkin into the ASUS and it worked.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

By default the asus ip address should be 192.168.1.1 try that

Edit: I am referring to the MANUAL FOUND HERE

Edited by Sneakycyber, 29 September 2012 - 12:39 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

LET me know if u get to the setup page

Chad Mockensturm 

#6 arsarcanum3

arsarcanum3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

Doesn't work. The Belkin router changed the setup page to 192.168.2.1 and it seems to override the ASUS one.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

Before I walk u through the setup what is the purpose of he asus? To add wireless to your network? To add an additional wireless network (meaning the belkin already has wireless), or to extend or add an access point in another part of the building?

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 arsarcanum3

arsarcanum3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

I just use it because my Belkin signal doesn't go far enough to the other side of my house. The Belkin already has wireless.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

Download he manual I linked to in post 4, print it out or save it so you can read it when you are not connected to he internet. Next In your wireless settings on your laptop/pc that you are using to setup the asus Go to your network connections ( in windows 7 its under network and sharing---->change adapter settings, Windows xp right click network connections and select properties) select your network connection (should be a wireless connection) right click and select properties. Under this connection uses the following select internet protocol ipv4 and click properties. Select use he following ip address and assign ip 192.168.1.3 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1. Click ok. Now u should be able to detect he asus router. Let me know if u get to the setup page.

Sort for any typos I am posting from my android phone

Edit make sure you are connected to the asus router wireless and not the belkin there shouldn't be a password by default.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 29 September 2012 - 01:22 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 arsarcanum3

arsarcanum3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

Did it but to no avail. By ipv4, I assume you mean the TCP/IP properties? I used your settings but I left the DNS server addresses blank. When I did that though, I couldn't connect to the internet at all (other sites).

EDIT: I believe the problem has been solved. Instead of 192.168.1.1 like you said, I went back and did 192.168.1.220. I think you read a different part of the manual.

Either way, it allowed me in and I have what appears to be the password now. I'm going to sleep now so I can't text it out but the password seems to be right (it's long and randomly generated).

I will update tomorrow if you would like. Thanks so much for the help!!!

Edited by arsarcanum3, 29 September 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

You welcome, let me know if u have any other problems. Sorry for being off on the settings I'm multitasking on a 5in screen lol

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users