Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G71 won't power on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

I have an HP G71 laptop that just up and quit working recently. The lights that normally indicate that it is charging aren't even lighting up anymore. It's done this once before and after taking the laptop apart I finally got it to work again, but it seemed really random. I didn't feel like I had actually fixed anything, it just started working out of the blue. Now it quit working again. I currently have the laptop dismantled and I'm testing various things. My first question is should the AC adapter have power on the laptop end at all times or does it send a signal when you press the ON button and open the gate for the power to come through?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

AC adapter is always hot. That's how you charge it when the laptop is off.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

Awesome! That's what I suspected. Thanks for the verification!

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

Chances are the jack in the laptop isn't properly secured. On most laptop power cables, hot runs on the inside of the plug. If the jack in your computer gets move back even a little bit, you may not be making the necessary contact and hence not being plugged in.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#5 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

replaced the power cord and everything seems to be back up and running. been good for about 2 weeks now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users