Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor shuts off

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Little dawg

Little dawg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

It appears that my monitor will suddenly go into "power save" mode. I originally thought I had malware, but i spent quite some time running various malware programs and none of them showed up positive for malware. My problem would occur when I ran search assistant...the mouse would lock up, and then my computer screen would shut down like it was going into hibernation, and then just go dark. The actual computer would not change(blue power light remained constant). My monitor power light would go from blue to amber like it does when hibernating. I tried unplugging the monitor, but it would not come back to life. It seems to me that when the computer is working hard, the monitor cuts out. I found a fix for my search problem, and my machine currently works fine. Unfortunately, i am one of those guys that needs to know the cause of a problem.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530 (build date 12/26/2007) running XP Home SP3. I would like to learn the cause of my problem, rather than just throw this relic away and buy a new one. My research shows that OEM's cheap out on PSU's/motherboards/graphic cards etc. I am pretty sure that I have a hardware problem. Can anyone recommend a good diagnostic application? i ran Speccy and the only thing I notice was the graphics card was running hot, at least i think it was..it was the hottest component in my system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Please post the speccy report for the benefit of reading. :) One thing also, check the monitor on another machine, if possible.

Tekken

#3 Little dawg

Little dawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Q8luhhvW3JCGlYYazJrZrR1

#4 Little dawg

Little dawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

i am not sure if i properly posted my speccy results. If not, please let me know. My monitor cuts off at the most non-predictable times. Sometimes I am running several apps, some times i am just reading a web page, and the most common fault is when the computer is unattended.

I do not have another computer to test my monitor with, so I can not verify that the monitor is 100%. The monitor is almost 6 years old, so that could be a concern. It seems to me that the monitor thinks that the computer is shutting down...and by my thinking the only hardware between the two is the graphics card. My BSOD pointed toward a graphic card driver problem...could the card be going bad?

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hello Little dawg,

In the Power Schemes, try setting the "Turn off monitor:" value to "Never" and see if that makes a difference.

Click Start -> Control Panel -> Power Options -> Power Schemes (tab) and select "Never" from the drop-down list at "Turn off monitor:". Then click Apply, then OK.

#6 Little dawg

Little dawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

i have done the power scheme settings..i'll let you know how things work out. my confidence level is not high. I think it was actually better when I could purposely crash my system using search assistant; at least that should have left a trail of what to fix; it did not. i can not believe that there is not a diagnostic that will verify the electrical performance of each component inside a computer, and indicate which one is the problem. Most of the solutions that i receive are "poke and hope"...just try this and see what happens. i am still looking at my video card as the problem, but i would like to verify that the motherboard is delivering adequate voltage to the video card before i go throwing parts at the problem.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

The BSOD you mentioned prior might help point out some information. Do you have any logs stored?
Download Bluescreenview.exe file and run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and attach it to your next reply.

Tekken

#8 Little dawg

Little dawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

I have attached BSOD.txt. As you can see I had three BSOD's. The one from 9/9/2012 looked like a driver problem, so I uninstalled old graphic card drivers and installed updated ones from the AMD/Radeon website. The BSOD's from 9/10 & 9/15 occured before I updated the drivers. I have not had a BSOd since, just the monitor turning off.

Attached Files

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

Monitor your graphics card temperature since no more BSODs after updating your drivers. Your first post seems to indicate that is your main problem.

Tekken

#10 Little dawg

Little dawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

I think my problem is solved. I noticed my motherboard had a blue VGA connector, so i bought an adapter and used that port for my monitor. The computer would then crash completely, not just the monitor turn off like it used to. I then removed the graphics card altogether and everything was fine. I installed a new graphics card and everything has been running smoothly for a few weeks. thanks for all of the help!

PS: when i removed the old graphics card I noticed a pretty large build up of oily dirt behind the fan that would not blow out with compressed air. Perhaps the vents got clogged and the card was burning up? Anyhow, my machine works great and the new card appears much better than the OEM!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users