Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Orange Orange Orange Orange White (Battery)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

I have a Dell XPS 17 (L702x) laptop with Windows 7 that is just about 1.5 years old (so out of warranty). Recently, I have had a problem with Dell's 90 Wh battery where the battery will charge, but not all the way. When I first had this problem, it was around 96% or so. The battery indicator (not actually on the battery) would flash orange, orange, orange, orange, white (with white being a bit longer than the oranges). After looking on Dell's website, it seems that it means that the battery has a "temporary failure". Except this happens every time it charges. Now, it only goes to about 70% and will continue decreasing.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'll need a new battery, or if there's a way to solve this (updating BIOS, updating some driver, etc.) without buying a new battery (about $160-170!). If you have any insight let me know.

[I also have Wubi so that I can dual-boot into Ubuntu (I have two hard drives anyway), and this problem persists in Ubuntu.]

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

A laptop battery can start degrading or wear out even on warranty coverage. But since its taken more than that period and considering the symptoms, its more likely a replacement is the practical solution. A BIOS flash is only considered for specific fixes as it could bricked your system if not properly handled.

Tekken

#3 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

A laptop battery can start degrading or wear out even on warranty coverage. But since its taken more than that period and considering the symptoms, its more likely a replacement is the practical solution. A BIOS flash is only considered for specific fixes as it could bricked your system if not properly handled.

I'm 95% sure that this is NOT just normal battery degradation. I have a battery meter gadget, which said it was 12% degraded (but still charged to "100%"). However, now, the battery meters say that it only goes to 70%. Before, it went to 100% even though it wasn't actually 90 Wh.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

See this link regarding other issues coming from the laptop http://www.uofr.net/~greg/hardware/laptop_power_troubleshooting/

Tekken

#5 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:27 AM

I doubt that any of those would be a problem in this case. It seems as if the interface between the battery and the computer's power is glitching out.

Edited by Quevvy, 29 September 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hi, With the Laptop plugged in go into the Bios and look at the Battery health section. It should also report AC Adapter type, For example 65Watt , 90 watt etc.

Bios setup, Turn on the computer, start pressing the F2 key when the Dell logo appears. There is a section in all newer Dell Laptops that will report Battery health (Status) and indicate whether it is due for replacement. You may a message like The battery is charging normally but you may start seeing reduced battery life or a message that the battery is failing.

I would not mess around with a battery that is generating errors. How hot is the battery running? These Dell batteries have electronics in them to monitor their health, etc. You should also check with Dell and see if there is a recall on your battery. These laptop batteries have been known to catch fire. So be cautious since your is indication a problem.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

BTW, Dell has no idea what's up. It might be my motherboard, but the tech person that I worked with had never seen this problem before.

Anyways, I am going to send it in, so this problem no longer needs your help. Thanks!

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

It would be interesting to hear what Dell comes up with once you get it back.
Don't forget to back up any important files.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

Well, I got it back from Dell. It seems that they replaced the battery and adapter and also re-imaged the hard drive to factory settings. All seems to be working fine now.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Many Thanks for letting us Know what Dell did.
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users