Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop refuses to boot?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tiourikikaze

Tiourikikaze

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hi there,

My girlfriend was using her laptop using the AC adapter without the battery when suddenly we had a blackout. Ever since this incident the laptop doesn't want to work properly anymore :wacko:

I'll try and give as much details as I can, so here's the rundown:

The laptop is a Dell Vostro 1200. It loads up normally, but once it reaches the Windows 7 loading screen it automatically restarts and it gives me the option to either Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally.

I choose Launch Startup Repair, and it does that job fine. However, as it tries to detect any problems with the system it says it cannot repair this computer automatically. Sending information to Microsoft doesn't seem to help solve the problem either.

I've tried to use system restore, but that failed as well, giving this error:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.
Source: %SystemRoot%\System32\wbem\repository
Destination: WmiStaging

I've also tried to use a bootable CD, but as I try to run the one-boot menu and boot it using the CD, it seems like it ignores my selection and it tries to boot Windows again. :angry:

I've checked the BIOS menu and when I try to select CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive as my source of booting, it doesn't seem to do anything. The BIOS (I think?) is InsydeH20 Setup Utility.

I hope this information is suffice to help solve this frustrating problem!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

Disable all hard drive booting. Set the boot priority to CD/DVD and two arbitrary pieces of hardware you know aren't connected.

If this doesn't work, you will have to boot from a USB drive. I'm at work right now so I don't have links, but google it and you should find some easy step by step guides.

It appears there is some Windows corruption resulting from the power outtage. We'll start simple and work our way up :)

Once you get to a Windows repair menu, select command prompt and run "chkdsk /r". This will check for and recover bad sectors.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Try running sfc (System File Check). The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> right click on Command Prompt> Run as System Administrator. If the administrator password is requested type in the password, if there is no password click Allow.

At the command prompt type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter.

This may take some time, please be patient and wait till it finishes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Tiourikikaze

Tiourikikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply!

Disable all hard drive booting. Set the boot priority to CD/DVD and two arbitrary pieces of hardware you know aren't connected.

If this doesn't work, you will have to boot from a USB drive. I'm at work right now so I don't have links, but google it and you should find some easy step by step guides.

It appears there is some Windows corruption resulting from the power outtage. We'll start simple and work our way up :)

Once you get to a Windows repair menu, select command prompt and run "chkdsk /r". This will check for and recover bad sectors.

When I type chkdsk /r, I get an error saying:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

Try running sfc (System File Check). The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> right click on Command Prompt> Run as System Administrator. If the administrator password is requested type in the password, if there is no password click Allow.

At the command prompt type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter.

This may take some time, please be patient and wait till it finishes.

Typing sfc /scannow gives me this:
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.

I restart the laptop and it doesn't seem to do anything, all it does is it tries to boot Windows again, but automatically restarts and gives me to two options again :angry:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

Can you boot into safe mode? I believe that F8 is the key that you want to use. As soon as the computer is started begin tapping the F8 key until you see a screen similar to the one below.

Posted Image

The message which tells you "can not lock current drive" means that you have open files. There should be the option to start the sfc when the computer is next started. Choose this and restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Tiourikikaze

Tiourikikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

I've just tried to boot it into Safe Mode, in which it runs some files and then it resets itself and goes back to when I initially turn on the laptop.

Afterwards it gives me the two options to launch repair or start Windows normally again :angry:

#7 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Perhaps when you run chkdsk, you should specify a drive letter. Not specifying it implies you want to repair the temporary partition created when you run Windows Repair (which is not possible). For example:
chkdsk C: /f

The drive letter might change in the repair mode. If you need to list the drive letters, type this in:
wmic logicaldisk get name

Edited by master131, 03 October 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#8 Tiourikikaze

Tiourikikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Perhaps when you run chkdsk, you should specify a drive letter. Not specifying it implies you want to repair the temporary partition created when you run Windows Repair (which is not possible). For example:

chkdsk C: /f

The drive letter might change in the repair mode. If you need to list the drive letters, type this in:
wmic logicaldisk get name

Excuse my late replies :wink:

I executed chkdsk C: /f and it says that "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems", but it failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

Then I ran chkdsk D: /f and it has all this computer jargon I don't understand.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
  162816 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  28336 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  35113368 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

It sounded promising, but when I restarted the laptop is just loops again :angry:

EDIT: Okay, I managed to use System Restore and it somehow "successfully" restored it back to 23rd August 2012. Yet, it's still looping as usual...

Edited by Tiourikikaze, 09 October 2012 - 02:54 AM.

#9 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

Perhaps you need to backup all your stuff using a bootable OS like Ubuntu from a USB because it seems your Windows is corrupt. You can find a guide here. I would normally suggest a Repair Install but that's only viable if you can access the OS which you can't. After you've backed up everything, you'll probably have to perform a factory reset or re-install Windows.

Also, one other note: Using chkdsk with the /r parameter can be dangerous because it will discard any bad sectors it can't read which other software might be able to recover. Since there is no existing backups for this laptop (well, you haven't mentioned anything about any backups), it's not safe to use.

If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to post here.

Edited by master131, 09 October 2012 - 05:23 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Since you can get into Safe Mode select the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure". This should stop the cycle and produce a BSOD. Please copy the error code at the top of the page and post it here.

#11 Tiourikikaze

Tiourikikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Since you can get into Safe Mode select the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure". This should stop the cycle and produce a BSOD. Please copy the error code at the top of the page and post it here.

Nice! I've got a BSOD error.
STOP: C000021a {Fatal System Error}
The verification of a knownDLL failed. System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000221 (0x8bc5f350 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

There is a repair utility which may help, you can download it here.

#13 Tiourikikaze

Tiourikikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Am I meant to boot that file via a USB for the laptop, or run the .exe on another computer (eg. this one)?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

Once you have the BOSD can you boot into normal mode?
See if you can boot into Safe Mode with Networking, get online and download it from there.

If you can't, download it to the other computer, send it to a flash drive, and then install it in safe mode.

Another option would be to download it to the other computer and burn it as an ISO file to a CD and then boot the other computer from that. You will need to go into the BIOS and make your CD/DVD drive the first device in the boot order.

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#15 Tiourikikaze

Tiourikikaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

It won't let me run Safe Mode with Networking, nor Safe Mode at all.

In the BIOS under the Boot tab, is it meant to look like this?

CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
USB CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Internal HDD
Diskette Drive
USB Storage Device
Onboard NIC

Also, I've tried downloading KNOPPIX and burning it as an ISO onto a CD, but it refuses to try and boot the CD :wacko:

Edited by Tiourikikaze, 09 October 2012 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users