Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home basic not starting properly

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Delanie

Delanie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hi folks I am writing this via safe mode which is the only way I can get any sense out of this machine at the moment.
I have an ACER 7730 laptop with Vista home basic, 2 backup disks which I made years ago and that's it no boot disk etc.

The problem: when I started my machine last night it seemed to get stuck on the black microsoft screen with the moving bar so much so that after about 15 minutes the disc access light stopped however I left it for an hour or more and still nothing happened. I have had the startup repair screen up but it does what it can but cannot repair the system.

I have tried reseting it to a previous incarnation of which there only seems to be one of which coincides to a microsoft update. I suspect I have a corrupted file somewhere but am unsure how to even identify which one it is let alone fix it

I would appreciate any help you could give me please , heck i would even put my data on my portable hard drive if i could and reset to factory setting problem no (disc it didn't have one when i bought it new This is a last resort however!!)

Please help I'm lost without it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hello Delanie,

Have you also tried Last Known Good Configuration ?

Please power on the computer and start tapping the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
  • If successful:
  • Do you have a Repair Your Computer option listed? Please let us know.
  • Next, arrow down to Last Known Good Configuration and press <Enter>. Reboot.
  • Any change?

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Delanie

Delanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:32 AM

Hi Artrooks,

Yes I have tried that on several occasions but I have just tried this again after getting your reply and I have the same old Black screen with scrolling 'busy' bar ( I am typing this on my old desk top)

I can get into the safemode options but where to go after that I am unsure I can get to system config from a safe windows screen if that is any help?

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Hi,

Let's try this first,

If you are able to enter Safe Mode, my first suggestion would be to use your "portable hard drive" and backup any important files. You should always have a backup of important data, made especially more important when the computer isn't booting.

Next, run a check disk:
  • Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.
  • At the command prompt type: chkdsk /R (Please not the "space" after chkdsk) and press <Enter>.
  • You will receive a message that the volume can't be locked and would you like to schedule at next boot. Say yes, then manually restart the computer.
  • If we're lucky, chkdsk will run before Windows gets stuck.
  • If chkdsk runs, it will progress through 5 stages (this could take several hours), may appear to freeze at times, but should not be interrupted.
  • When finished, the computer will attempt to boot into normal Windows.
  • Let us know the result or any difficulty you may have with any of the above.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Delanie

Delanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hi Artrooks

I have just done as you said and nope it's stuck in the black screen zone with the busy bar there is no drive busy light to indicate anything is being done at all.

#6 Delanie

Delanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hi, After the previous post I attempted to try again.

I initially tried the 'safe mode with command prompt' so that I could repeat the chkdsk /R function this however just hung up after the drivers were reported to be installed (no drive busy light) , this happened twice.

So i then used the 'directory services restore mode' option at this time it is saying that "a chkdsk has been scheduled and ......" at present it is on stage 4 of 5 50% done ish.

I will post to let you know what happens.

Thank you so much for helping me with this

Susanna

#7 Delanie

Delanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Well it finished.....

and we are back here again!

<<Posted Today, 09:57 PM

Hi Artrooks

I have just done as you said and nope it's stuck in the black screen zone with the busy bar there is no drive busy light to indicate anything is being done at all. >>

No drive 'busy' light

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hello,

Were you able to backup any important data when in safe mode? If not, do so first.

Please run System File Checker (SFC) in an attempt to replace corrupted or missing system files:
  • Enter Safe Mode.
  • Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> right mouse click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator."
  • At the command prompt type: sfc /scannow
  • Press <Enter> and you should see a message: "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time."
  • If integrity violations were found and corrected or if they were unable to be corrected, please re-run System File Checker until "no integrity violations found" message received. It can take 2-3 runs for SFC to fix all that it can.
  • When the scan finishes, if "no integrity violations found" message appears, then type: exit. There will probably be no change.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 Delanie

Delanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hi,

I have been running the sfc /scannow most of the day infact I am up to the 13th try.

Each time i get the reply, "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. " it then goes on to say that details can be found in the Windows log files under CBS

On restart I am back to the afore mentioned black screen

thanks again for your help

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hello,

No need to keep running the System File Checker. Three times is adequate for it to repair what it is able to repair. It can't always fix everything.

Well, back to the drawing board. I will think on it.

Have you been able to rescue any important data (files) that you need?

Regards,
Brooks

#11 Delanie

Delanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

hi,

yes I think I have backed up most of my files (I've probably missed one saved in an obscure place that I have forgotten about but hey).

It's a pity I can't get rid of that black screen and see exactly where the file is that stops the machine.

would any of the information in the log files be of any use?

thanks again

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hello,

would any of the information in the log files be of any use?

You could see if there is a check disk report. This is best done in Safe Mode with Networking:

Using Event Viewer to view Check Disk results:
  • Please enter Safe Mode with Networking.
  • In the search box type "Event" and click on "Event Viewer" in top column.
  • Click on "Windows Logs" -->"Application."
  • Click the "Source" tab ( top, right) to alphabetize that column.
  • Arrow down to "Wininit." It will be an Event ID: 1001.
  • Select the most recent Check Disk report.
  • Double click on it and select the "Copy" button. This will copy the report to the clipboard.
  • Please paste this report into your next post.
Here is the direct link to your forum topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic470115.html/page__view__findpost__p__2854261
Login and post the results, if any were found.

Regards,
Brooks

#13 Delanie

Delanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hi,

I have tried looking at that event log, however I cannot find a "Wininit" I can see a winlogon but unsure where to go from here so I decided to do another chkdsk /R noting down the time and see what shows in the events log. The problem is the only way I can get to do the chkdsk is by selecting one of the safemode options.

I wonder if the machine actually gets as far as initialising windows on its own?

I'll post what I find out once the chkdsk has finished

#14 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

That sounds good. :thumbup2:

I'll be looking for the log.

Regards,
Brooks

#15 Delanie

Delanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hi

as prommised. I have included the first 1001 notice I came across for the time I did the Chkdsk, the 1001 notice I think you want and the corresponding (I think) 1000 error notice.

I hope that you can make more sense of it than I can. :blink:

<<<<The Software Licensing service failed

to start. hr=0x80070002, [2, 4]

Fault bucket 1290482840, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: mmc.exe
P2: 6.0.6002.18005
P3: 49e01c0a
P4: mmc.exe