Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 newbie-Problems in network land!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Big-Gee

Big-Gee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hi All..

Just installed windows 7. On setup I gave the computer a name. e.g. My-PC

"my-PC" was part of a homegroup which I thought I had to set up. I already had a network called homenet that I thought this might allow me to join. Instead, homegroup became a new network. Not what I wanted. I removed the homegroup and all was OK.

Under "network" in windows explorer, all XP computers, NAS box, and attched printers showed up, along with the new win7 pc, "My-pc" so all seems to be OK.

I did not like "My-PC" as the name of the win 7 computer so I renamed it. e.g. "My-New-PC". I rebooted and when the network list came up, both "My-PC" and "My-New-PC" BOTH showed up in the list, but "My-PC" in not accessible. Since it no longer exists withthat name, how can I remove the name from the network?

So to summarizing this I have a renamed computer where the old name AND the new name for the same computer exisits on the network, but the old name is unaccessible and I want to remove it fromthe network(list).

How do I do that?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Big-Gee

Edited by Big-Gee, 28 September 2012 - 02:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Big-Gee

Big-Gee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

OK... I figured this out....

Problem: rename computer and old name remains in the network list. How to remove it?

Solution:
1. Click Start.
2. Type cmd in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ipconfig /flushdns (there is a space between ipconfig and / )
4. after cmd executes type exit and press ENTER.

Check windows explorer and "network" and the old name is gone.

Now we all know!

Cheers!

Big-Gee

Edited by Big-Gee, 28 September 2012 - 02:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users