Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Unistall combofix

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stgr

stgr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hello,

I have windows 7 Home Premium and I have runned combofix to clean my computer from malware. I want to unistall it, but i cannot find the file to unistall it. I use the how to guide but there is no combofix uninstall file.

It is saved on the desktop of my computer.

Any idea about unistalling combofix?

Thanks,

Stathis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Codexe

Codexe

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

Here is a good guide for you :thumbup2:

How-to-use-combfix

Edited by Codexe, 28 September 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

I use the how to guide but there is no combofix uninstall file.

What 'how to guide' did you use?

If you scroll all the way to nearly the bottom of the guide in the link Codexe provided, you will see the correct uninstall steps.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 stgr

stgr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

I used the same guide that Codexe mentioned, but when i do the uninstallation step i see no program at all. I do the same thing that it is in the guide and it is as the image, but with no program to select.

Click on the Start button () and then in the Search field enter combofix /uninstall, as shown in the image below with the blue arrow. Please note that there is a space between combofix and /uninstall.

Windows 7 Start Menu

Once you have typed this in, press Enter on your keyboard. A Open File security warning will appear asking if you are sure you want to run ComboFix. Please click on the Run button to start the program.

ComboFix will now uninstall itself from your computer and remove any backups and quarantined files. When it has finished you will be greeted by a dialog box stating that ComboFix has been uninstalled. You can now delete the ComboFix.exe program from your computer. ComboFix has now been uninstalled from your Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer.

I leave a space and everyting and I do not know why, but this is not working for me :(

#5 Sarah_Anderson

Sarah_Anderson

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Another way of uninstalling ComboFix is to rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe and double click on it.

Let us know if that works.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

You select Run from the menu? This will open up the Run dialog box as shown in the image in the guide. Thats where you type combofix /uninstall

I don't see you referencing the Run dialog box in your reply above. Or am I missing something?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 stgr

stgr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Another way of uninstalling ComboFix is to rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe and double click on it.

Let us know if that works.

Thank you Sarah, that worked!

ComboFix is uninstalled now!

You select Run from the menu? This will open up the Run dialog box as shown in the image in the guide. Thats where you type combofix /uninstall

I don't see you referencing the Run dialog box in your reply above. Or am I missing something?

Run is for windows XP only.

I think that this tip must be added in the official How-To-Use-Combofix guide, as it could be usefull to the future combofixers.

Thank you all for your help :)

#8 Sarah_Anderson

Sarah_Anderson

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Glad I could help. :)

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

I apologize I missed that you were using windows 7. Glad you were able to get it successfully uninstalled with Sarah_Anderson's suggestion.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi -
Another lesson to the newer members has been given -
Please always post in the Infection / Malware removal area prior to using such tools, as they are only for experienced people -

The idea always sounds good, but remember it is not a scanner like Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware, but a special tool only.

I hope your problems are solved, but please always feel free to post in Am I Infected or Malware Removal areas next time -

Regards -

Edited for Spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 28 September 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

Don't forget to right-click on and delete the ComboFix.exe program from your computer's desktop if you have not done so already.

Using older versions of ComboFix is not recommended. The developer frequently updates ComboFix not only to keep it effective against malware but to minimize the possibility of risk or serious side effects which could result in system damage after running his tool. In some cases, the expired version may no longer work properly or effectively. This is a protective measure since most folks are unaware of version changes and we do not discuss what they are or what ComboFix does in public to protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers.

And if you have not already done so, please read this topic: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users