Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 geologist

geologist

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

At the moment I have a desktop and 2 laptops all working from the same pc via a router. The desktop is on its last legs and my wife wants to replace it with a another laptop. My question is, can the router be situated anywhere in the house or must it be connected to the main pc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi geologist,
A router (Wireless?) can be anywhere in the house that the cable from the modem can reach.

For a Wireless router I like a central location for best coverage. This means centrally located front to back, Side to side and top to bottom. If that isn't possible and you have coverage issues you can buy a range extender to improve coverage.

Let me clarify that there is no main PC to a router.
You should use a Ethernet cable to it for any configuring you do.

Hope this helps
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 September 2012 - 12:07 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

The only thing a router must be connected to is the modem providing the connection. True enough, you could have an iPhone and not a single computer and everything would work perfectly peachy.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#4 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:09 AM

Cant find a modem. Is it perhaps included in the body of the router?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

You may have a gateway device, which is a combination modem/router.

What make/model is your router?

#6 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

You may have a gateway device, which is a combination modem/router.

What make/model is your router?

Orange Brightbox Wireless Router.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

The Bright Box router does not incorporate a modem.
That router has one RJ11 ADSL Port which connects to your router and four Ethernet ports for your LAN connections if hardwired. If you follow the line which is plugged into the ADSL port it will take you to the modem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

The Bright Box router does not incorporate a modem.
That router has one RJ11 ADSL Port which connects to your router and four Ethernet ports for your LAN connections if hardwired. If you follow the line which is plugged into the ADSL port it will take you to the modem.

Thanks for your input. You are correct in saying that my router has 4 Ethernet ports. One of these is connected to the computer via a cable. You are also correct that my router has 1 ADSL port. However, if I follow the cable from that, it is connected to a cable from the telephone socket and not, as far as I can see, to a modem.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:46 AM

Do you mean, you just need to add another laptop to your current network setup? If yes, there is nothing you need to do as in you just need to either connect it either by wired or wireless by choice. The only remaining question is, if the laptop is able to detect the wireless network depending on the signal and distance.

Tekken

#10 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Do you mean, you just need to add another laptop to your current network setup?

No. I am replacing the desktop with a 3rd laptop. Can all 3 be wireless?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Since there are three Ethernet ports I would assume that it should support three wifi connections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

That router has............four Ethernet ports

Since there are three Ethernet ports I would assume that it should support three wifi connections.

It has 4 but I still cant find a modem anywhere.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

My mistake, mine has three...Posted Image

I would suggest just starting the new computer and see if it sees the router.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Ok,

my router has 1 ADSL port. However, if I follow the cable from that, it is connected to a cable from the telephone socket

Since the one port hooks to a phone line I'm going to call your "Router" a DSL Modem with a built-in router.

There is no main computer on a router. The only time you have a main computer is if you are using Internet connection sharing software on a computer. This isn't you case.

Just add a new laptop, enter the encryption key, You are using one I hope, And you are done.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#15 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Ok,

my router has 1 ADSL port. However, if I follow the cable from that, it is connected to a cable from the telephone socket

Since the one port hooks to a phone line I'm going to call your "Router" a DSL Modem with a built-in router.

There is no main computer on a router. The only time you have a main computer is if you are using Internet connection sharing software on a computer. This isn't you case.

Just add a new laptop, enter the encryption key, You are using one I hope, And you are done.

Good Luck
Roger

Sounds good to me Roger so will give it a go ie when we get the new laptop. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users