Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Data From Old Win 95 To New Xp Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bilbo

bilbo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

I want to use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" to transfer data from my old Win95 computer to my new XP Home computer. The problem is that the Wizard asks you to run either the origional XP disk or a floppy on the old comuter and I have neither. The new XP computer came with XP preinstalled (so I do not have an original XP disk) and the new computer does not have a floppy drive. Is there some way I can burn a CD with the Wizard program on the new computer and then run this CD on the old computer?

The old computer cannot burn CDs and thus I cannot even transfer files from the old to the new computer via a CD created on the old computer.

Is there any way to do the data and settings transfer short of installing the old hard drive into the new machine and running it as a slave drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:40 PM

Transfer data by using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX011886...aspx?mode=print

Floppy drive or other removable media The drop-down list shows all available removable devices that are installed on the computer, including floppy disk drives, high-capacity floppy disk drives, and USB flash memory keydrives. If you choose this option, make sure that the new computer has the same type of drive available.

Other removable media should encompass the cd drives - burn it to a cd and try it.
By the way, you can buy a floppy drive for less than twenty dollars either online or from a local store like Circuit City oor Bestbuy.
example: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Star-Logic-...roductDetail.do
Compusa has one for 14.99
If you have a local computer warehouse type store it may be even less.

If that doesn't work, there are three other ways to transfer files between computers.

You can network them using a router, or you can connect them directly with a serial cable (called a null modem- described in the MS article). You can also physically remove the hard drive from the old computer and install it in the new one as a slave drive, and in that case, they do not have to be networked. If you physically install the old drive as a slave in the new computer be sure to set the jumpers on both hard drives accordingly. There will be a diagram of the jumper settings on the drives which is also available from support at whatever manufacturer made the drives. If you install it as a slave drive, try the transfer wizard to move the files from one drive to the other on the same computer - it might work.

If you network them you can move the files by opening two "Windows Explorer" windows on the new computer, adjusting the width so you can see both, navigate the first to wherever you want to move your files to, and navigate the other one to the networked computer's drive, and then to the particular files you want copied to the new drive and then just drag them from one window to the other.

If you can get the transfer files wizard going on both it will be easier because you will not have to manually find all the files and move them.

By the way, now is the time to call support at the manufacturer whose new computer you bought and demand that they send you a restore disk and an operating system disk for your computer. If they try to tell you that Microsoft prohibits them from doing that, they are lying to you. If so, demand to speak to a supervisor, their supervisor or continue up the ladder until you reach someone who will accommodate your demand.

You will eventually need these disks to repair or reload Windows, and you have the right to have them. If you wait until a year or so goes by, they will try to charge you for them.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 March 2006 - 05:51 PM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

By the way, now is the time to call support at the manufacturer whose new computer you bought and demand that they send you a restore disk and an operating system disk for your computer. If they try to tell you that Microsoft prohibits them from doing that, they are lying to you. If so, demand to speak to a supervisor, their supervisor or continue up the ladder until you reach someone who will accommodate your demand.

You will eventually need these disks to repair or reload Windows, and you have the right to have them. If you wait until a year or so goes by, they will try to charge you for them.

Those are excellent words of advice. We have countless members that hit a dead end because they do not have the XP disk or the System Restore Disk. You will need it. It's not if but when.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 bilbo

bilbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:15 AM

Thank you for your replies. Based on your recomendations, I burned a set of 2 single layer DVDs which contain the Compaq recovery routines for my Compaq SR1720NX computer.

I was able to burn these DVDs by going to Start/All Programs/PC Help & Tools/Compaq Recovery CD-DVD Creator.

Thanks again.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:42 AM

That's all well and good, but they are not the Compaq Restore Cds, nor are they the Windows XP CD.

Having the restore function on the hard drive in a hidden partition may be all well and fine - until the hard drive dies (which happens more often and possibly a lot sooner than we would like to realize)

Get the Restore CD from Compaq and the Windows XP CD.

If you wait until you need them, and your computer is out of warranty, you WILL have to pay for them.

Did the transfers work?

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 March 2006 - 05:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users