Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Ram Is All Messed Up...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguy

thatoneguy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:29 PM

My computer comes with 512 MB ram. But when I look at the system stats, it tells me I only have 384 MB! :thumbsup: I opened up my computer and the Ram card clearly 512. So whats going on with my computer? Its not really a big deal, except when I try to play some games. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:02 PM

Bad RAM is not uncommon.

Run some of the following RAM tests:

Mem-test
Ram test
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

Have you got onboard video? The missing 128MB could be allocated to video memory if you have a modern BIOS (the maximum I've seen is 64MB but I don't deal in onboard video much). Check you motherboard manual for details or look in the BIOS by pressing the 'Del' key when the system boots.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:21 AM

I have seen as much as 128mb set off for a video adapter, depending on which it is.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 March 2006 - 06:22 AM.

#5 thatoneguy

thatoneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

Well, I have a 128 mb graphics card... And 512 - 128 = 384! So what do I do to solve the problem?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:02 AM

If your graphics adapter has 128mb of its own, then it doesn't draw from shared ram.

If your bios aperture draws 128mb from the ram to power on board graphics, then you subtract the 128 from the 512.

Did you run the RAM tests, and do you have a seperate graphics card - either pci or agp or is it an onboard graphics adapter with no memory of its own?

Depending on the games you want to play, you may need a seperate graphics card and more RAM.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

This problem may have other causes. Here's a link to another person experiencing this problem.

The latest issue of Maximum PC also lists a similar problem where XP cannot see over three megs of RAM - it will report four gigs as either three or three and one-half. Chances are that even though XP reports less RAM than you actually have, it may still be using all the RAM and only the report is wrong. Memtest86 should tell you if it's working correctly.

#8 thatoneguy

thatoneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

I have a ATI RADEON Xpress 200 Series, Im pretty sure its 128 MB, Here a a link to the specs of the it.
http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

Also, a certain amount of RAM is reserved for your op system and therefore will not be shown in the available RAM.

#10 thatoneguy

thatoneguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

op system?

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

To run Windows (or whatever other op system you use).

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

There are several motherboards available with ATI RADEON Xpress 200 Series video onboard so it could still be onboard video you have, using 128MB of your system RAM.

Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest Free Edition 2.2

How do you 'fix' it?
There is really nothing to fix, that is the way systems with onboard video work, but you can improve the performance by doing one or both of these options:
1. Add more system RAM.
2. Replace the onboard video with a "real" video card. Check your motherboard specs to see what type you should consider.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#13 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:09 AM

My laptop came with 1 Gig of RAM, but when I checked My Computer specs it reads 960 Mb available. I assume that the missing 40 Mb is taken up by the OS.

#14 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:24 AM

oldcorpsgunny - that really depends on the source of the information as 'available' can mean different things in different contexts. The most important spec is how much RAM Windows detects. Press the 'Windows' key and the 'Pause/Break' key to bring up the 'System Properties' window. Near the bottom of the page will be the amount of RAM detected.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:13 AM

You probabily have 64mb of onboard video taking your RAM. You can adjust it in the BIOS. You may be able to increase it to as much as 128mb or as low as 8mb of dedicated video memory. While it is onlya rule of thumb, increasing the amount of RAM that your video adapter has will increase the preformance of our video. Depending on the chipset this may or may not hold true. At some point you maay reserve RAM and receive no benefit.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users