Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are there tips for safely watching videos online?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

I guess this counts as a "web browsing" question...
After my recent brush with "Live Security Platinum" which apparently blew right through the WinXP firewall, I had a browse through the malware removal guides, & it seems an awful lot of this cr*p comes from "software required to watch online video". I don't recall that I was ever prompted to install any software to watch anything, & I would immediately click away from any page that asked me to do so. But there are a lot of sites which promise free online video (yes, I know a good many are probably pirated) & I wondered if there are any sort of guidelines about how to know what kind of sites might be safe to use. I rarely look for this sort of thing but there are a couple of tv shows on channels we don't get that I might like to see. Can you get these viruses simply from ending up on the site even if you don't download their programs? (I'm thinking, 'probably'.)
I am not very techy, so I'll apologize if this is an overly simplistic question...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

Do not install any unknown software required to watch video. Watch video only on the sites which offer it to be played with standard plugins like Adobe Flash, Microsoft Silverlight, Apple Quicktime etc.

Use an antivirus or internet security package that scans HTTP traffic too. One example is avast! free antivirus. Additionally, you should use Sandboxie to open sites in. http://www.sandboxie.com/

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. Usually illegal streams come with pitfalls that no antivirus can protect you from.

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

Morning Alliecat and welcome to BC.

I simply wanted to +1 Romeo29's suggestion to use (or try) avast!

I'm running the free version and don't always surf safe, heck sometimes I even go to some, uh, well, questionable sites that feature videos and thus far avast! has blocked several attempts from these websites to perform nefarious schemes upon my spiffy e-machine.

Given the question you posted, I'm curious - what are you running on your machine to keep it safe? Bleeping Computer has a number of Tutorials that explain (much better than I could) what a computer would benefit most from whilst out surfing the wilds of this crazy Internet.

Hope that helps and if you're so inclined, let us know what your running on your machine and if you don't feel like doing so, at the very least, make sure everything is patched and updated.

That little bit can go a long way to keeping you safe.

Enjoy the day,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Since you are trying to better protect yourself may I suggest some 'light reading', in addition to the already provided information: How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected and Answers to common security questions - Best Practices Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Thanks guys; I will have a look at the articles posted when I have time to read thoroughly. Interesting to see another recommendation for Avast; I had seen good reviews of it on Cnet or somewhere similar. It seems to be a choice between Avast & AVG. Since I had not previously used my laptop much online & am only doing so now because the older desktop with its older browser (can't further upgrade; need new one) doesn't run some sites properly, I am looking for a good free antivirus program. Have had Norton (quite some time ago) & for a while the antivirus provided by our ISP, which wasn't that great.
Since Live Security Platinum I have MBAM & the iexplore.exe thing that was recommended in the removal instructions; have recently done Windows updates again (XP).
Does Avast tell you right away when it's caught something, which it sounds like it does from Winterland's post? Is the interface fairly simple to configure?

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Does Avast tell you right away when it's caught something, which it sounds like it does from Winterland's post? Is the interface fairly simple to configure?

Yes. It shows a popup box warning in the bottom right corner, along with the audio warning and recorded voice playback when a virus is caught.
Interface is very easy to configure, but you wont have to. The default settings are great.
If, however, you need to configure something which you do not understand, you can ask here at BleepingComputer :)

#8 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Thanks, guys. Will give it a try :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users