Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How does this build look?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hyperspin

Hyperspin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

All games listed are assumed to be played at max settings, with a framerate of at least 50 FPS. I plan to overclock the CPU.

Inteded uses for this setup:

• Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Pangya, 2D MMOs, Starcraft II
  • Maplestory
  • Many, many browsers open at one time
  • Audio encoding
  • Programming
  • Gaming
  • Adobe Flash
  • Photoshop
  • Microsoft Office Suite
  • Database management
  • Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii) emulator at MAX settings
  • RAM Drive

Core components
----

GPU: MSI N670 Power Edition (GTX 670)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced <--- Chosen for its superior cooling. If I'm incorrect on this, or there is a better fulltower for cooling, please let me know.

PSU: SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W <--- Reasons for this choice are listed at the bottom of this post.
----

Storage and Media components
----

HDD: WD Caviar Black SATA 1 TB 7200 RPM [SALVAGED]

SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III

Optical Drive: LG SuperMultiblue internal Bluray disc rewriter [SALVAGED]

Optical Drive: DVD Supermulti Drive [SALVAGED]

----

Cooling components
----

Modular Liquid Cooler: CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

[x4]120mm fans for push-pull RAD configuration: COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 12CM Silent Cooling Fan with Pulse Width Modulation

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM
----

I have the case set to a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced because of the cooling options that it provides (Generous front and side intakes, top and rear exhaust). If someone can point out a case that has better cooling, please say so!

Power Supply
---
You may have noticed that I have a 1000W PSU listed up there; Which is outrageous considering the parts I've listed. These are the reasons that I believed it to be a good choice. I may have some of my information incorrect, so please feel free to correct me:

• Priced competitively within other 80 PLUS GOLD PSUs toward the 850W mark. Using a calculator online determining all the parts I could possibly need, I came to around that 850 mark. But, I would be using full load at that point.

• I plan to SLI in the future. Or at least, I want that door open to me. Two of the card I listed.

• Avoiding maximum usage/high loads toward 90%+, to avoid capacitor strain thus reducing noise and prolonging life.

• Fully modular.

• Only draws as much power as it needs, and is 80 PLUS Silver. Should not increase power bill VS an 850W or lower. (I'm under the assumption that -more parts- increases the PSU's power usage, not just the PSU itself alone.)
---

Thoughts? Thanks in advance. Constructive criticism is appreciated. Looking to get this thing finished and ordered soon, as I'm beginning to desperately need it for school. (NOT just a school computer, though. Gaming too.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

Hmmm, everything looks good but depending on the resolution you play at, the GTX670 may struggle at producing 50FPS in BF3 and 60FPS is the ideal rate you want to achieve.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

I would suggest going 4x4GB on the RAM. The cost is roughly the same, but you will be able to utilize them in a double dual channel configuration.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#4 Hyperspin

Hyperspin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks! What do you think about my choice in power supply? That particular item is worrying me.

My card is overclocked, and reaches levels above those of a stock, non-overclocked 680. Will that be enough for BF3? Highest resolution I plan to play at is 1920x1200.

#5 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

Where you are at right now adds to around 650W. If you overclock the entire machine and it blows a 1000W PSU before it blows every component, I want to buy you a beer.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

I would suggest going 4x4GB on the RAM. The cost is roughly the same, but you will be able to utilize them in a double dual channel configuration.

Any links on that? As far as I know you have two RAM channels on that CPU whether or not you run 2 or 4 sticks. All else being the same, I would much rather have 2X8gig vs 4X4gig.

Looks like a solid build. Silverstone is a reputable brand of PSU. I would hold off on the extra fans for the H100 until you see your temps and hear the noise. I have an H100 in an Obsidian 700, and to be honest, it is hard to hear. Oh, 256 gig M4. 128gigs of space runs out awful quick when you have games on there. I have a 256gig M4 on my lappy, and it hit 100gig real quick, same for my other 256gig M4 on my main rig. Just something to consider, but it sounds like you thought this out.

Have fun with it. Its giving me the upgrade itch.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Most boards with 4 RAM slots today support 2x dual channel (for example, mine dual channels in 1,3 and 2,4). By running two dual channels, you are effectively doubling the available bandwidth. If you use two sticks of RAM, you get one dual channel set up. Use 4 sticks, and you can use 2 dual channels. RAM never outpaces the processor, so by utilizing two dual channel set ups, the processor can send and retrieve information from 2 dual channels at the doubled bandwidth.

I <3 Linux

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Most boards with 4 RAM slots today support 2x dual channel (for example, mine dual channels in 1,3 and 2,4). By running two dual channels, you are effectively doubling the available bandwidth. If you use two sticks of RAM, you get one dual channel set up. Use 4 sticks, and you can use 2 dual channels. RAM never outpaces the processor, so by utilizing two dual channel set ups, the processor can send and retrieve information from 2 dual channels at the doubled bandwidth.

The reason I asked for links is bacause I think you are wrong. Socket 1155 has only 2 RAM channels. 2X8gig will perform the same, or better than 4X4gigs and put a heck of a lot less stress on the memory controller. You also get better overclocks with 2 sticks.

Now, with a Socket 2011,and 4 channels, you will see better performance with a 4X4 setup.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

LGA 1155 Socket Guide

This references the use of 2 sticks per channel in a dual channel configuration multiple times.

The socket 2011 is quad-channeled. This means that you will see quadrupled speeds in a 4 stick setup. A CPU/board supporting dual channel can have 2 sets of dual channel memory. All the dual, triple, and quad channeling simply refers to the number of memory slots that are assigned to one channel as far as the memory controller.

I <3 Linux

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

A 750W might do the trick for future SLI and the GTX680 would play it easily on ultra preset.Here is a review on the card for BF3. I suppose by going with 2x8GB, you can later upgrade to 32GB if needed.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

LGA 1155 Socket Guide

This references the use of 2 sticks per channel in a dual channel configuration multiple times.

The socket 2011 is quad-channeled. This means that you will see quadrupled speeds in a 4 stick setup. A CPU/board supporting dual channel can have 2 sets of dual channel memory. All the dual, triple, and quad channeling simply refers to the number of memory slots that are assigned to one channel as far as the memory controller.

I do not think you understand what you think you understand.

The INTEL PDF you linked to mentions "memory" 9 times. The only reference to there being "two sticks per channel" is in reference to MAX TDP (more sticks= more watts= higher TDP).

All the dual, triple, and quad channeling simply refers to the number of memory slots that are assigned to one channel as far as the memory controller.

Once again I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the way memory works on modern systems. The total number of memory slots has little to do with the number of memory channels except that there must be at least one slot per channel. Having one slot or two slots per channel doesn't effect the number of channels, only the total number of sticks that can be used.

If you have a 2 channel board, you will have the same memory bandwidth whether you use 2 sticks or 4 sticks. The only difference is you pull more current through the CPUs MCH (hence the TDPs in the Intel PDF you posted).

That is why I never advocate filling all of the memory slots on a system if you don't have to. One stick per channel, when you can do it, means better overclocks and less MCH stress(on Intels), plus it leaves open slots so when you do want to upgrade later on, you have open slots to do so.

EDIT: To the OP, sorry we got side tracked.

Edited by dpunisher, 29 September 2012 - 05:12 AM.

#12 24T

24T

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

Hum similar to mine only I have an Asus P8Z77-V board HAF XM case and a Samsung 830 120GB. Personally I prefer air cooling and am going to try the Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin. PSU is a bit smaller - Corsair HX 650 gold and a GTX 650 (just a beginner). Plus my case fans will all be 200mm LED lit ones

#13 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I understand power draw and the memory controller when using 4 sticks. I advocate 4 because you have 2 channels with doubled bandwidth. With both channels being utilized, the computer can read/write 2 sets of data simultaneously at whatever the bandwidth speed may be. Perhaps just differences in opinion on memory utilization?

In all reality, the difference in performance speed isn't huge to begin with, so the difference between running 2x8 or 4x4 probably boils down to a fairly minor difference in performance.

However, for performance with overclocking I agree the OP should go ahead with 2x8GB.

I <3 Linux

#14 Hyperspin

Hyperspin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Does overclocking my processor void my warrenty for either my CPU or my motherboard? The Gigabyte MoBo in particular. I'm reading that OCing anything voids gigabyte motherboard's warrenty on a few other community websites.

#15 Hyperspin

Hyperspin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hows this, without the GPU? I'm still deciding on that part, but want to order all this and work off integrated graphics until I can decide.

Uses are hardcore gaming, programming, graphic design, schoolwork.

I plan to SLI or Crossfire. I will be overclocking the CPU. I also plan to add cold cathode lighting and LED fans eventually.

----

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced <--- Chosen for its superior cooling. If I'm incorrect on this, or there is a better fulltower for cooling, please let me know.

PSU: Corsair 850W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU

HDD: WD Caviar Black SATA 1 TB 7200 RPM [SALVAGED]

SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III

Optical Drive: LG SuperMultiblue internal Bluray disc rewriter [SALVAGED] [B][COLOR="Olive"]

Optical Drive: DVD Supermulti Drive [SALVAGED]

Modular Liquid Cooler: CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

[x2]120mm fans for RAD: COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 12CM Silent Cooling Fan with Pulse Width Modulation (Will be getting two more for push-pull later)

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users