Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not starting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Iamatuzzo

Iamatuzzo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum and was directed by a friend who solved her problems through this board. I am not computer savy, and am not even sure what version of windows i have. My computer is about 2.5 years old and about three days ago started showing a bluish white screen after having been turned on for about 10 mins. I opened up the hardrive to clean it out , and now it is not even turning on. help?
Thanks in advance :)

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2012 - 10:03 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

I opened up the hardrive to clean it out <<
Hi -
Do you mean that you opened the Case of the computer, not the Hard Drive, or have you gone further than that ??
Were you only trying to clean loose dust etc from around the Case, and no more ??

Is there any chance that you have knocked any wire / connection loose ??

You could list the Make and Model of computer and post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy <<Follow These Directions

Thank You -

#3 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

Iamatuzzo may have a difficult time running Speccy if the computer won't power on :)

As somebody who describes themselves as non-computer savvy, I'm going to guess Iamatuzzo cleaned the dust out of the inside of his/her computer case. I have heard people call a desktop tower a hard drive before.

Iamatuzzo, can you clarify "not turning on"? Does the computer power on at all? When you hit the power button, do you see any lights on the tower, hear any sounds, or does nothing happen at all?

I would agree with noknojon that you probably knocked a cable loose. Please locate the manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc.) and model number. It may be on a sticker somewhere on the case.

Edited by Textbook, 27 September 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

after having been turned on for about 10 mins. <<
Hi -
I based my answer only on the fact that you seemed to say that you could run for about 10 mins without the problem showing
Can you access Safe Mode by tapping F8 on startup and selecting Safe Mode with Networking, or Last Known Good Configuration ??

If any of my ideas are not working, please post back with any options / repairs you have attempted so far -

Thank You -

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

just a quick comment ,quite a few of my potential customers refer to there tower as My Hard drive ,like, can you have a look at my harddrive for me , the dvd rom's not working !

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Sounds like a loose cable.

Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer, press the power button on the front. Open the case back up, gently make sure that all the cables running to and from the motherboard are seated properly. If you see burn marks or it smells like something burned, don't reconnect the power cable and don't turn it back on.

Especially:
  • Check the 20/24 pin connector (long and thin) that connects into the motherboard from the power supply
  • Check the cable running from the hard drive to the motherboard

Many cables only connect one way, so don't try to force anything.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Admin note: Seems like it would be wise...to await some feedback from the OP, at this point. Only he knows what was meant by his statements.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users