Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video files are suddenly choppy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TB5

TB5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

I am using Windows 7 64-bit, and have a tendency to postpone windows updates. While I was sleeping last night, my computer held a coup, and installed the latest update, then rebooted. When I tried to play an .avi this morning, I found that there were several clicks at the beginning of the file, then the video would play in slow-motion, and the sound was extremely choppy. (Every word, or syllable would repeat 2-4 times.) I watch about half of this video last night, and it played fine.

I tried downgrading VLC, then upgrading back to 2.0.2 and deleting preferences. (Neither worked.) I also tried playing the file in BS Player, to no avail. Finally, I tried playing files that were stored on a different drive, yet all my videos played in a similar fashion. My music is fine though, as is streaming video. I've already scanned my computer with CCleaner, Glary Utilities, and Tune Up Utilities 2012, defragmented my C: drive, and restored my system to before the update was installed. I am now completely out of ideas, and have decided to come to you.

Additional system information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TB5-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, 2600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0506, 5/27/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name TB5-PC\TB5
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.80 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.98 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.24 GB
Page File Space 3.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teddy G.

Teddy G.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

Before "trying stuff", do a "system backup"(An "image" of your entire machine.), to bootable external storage(DVD, flash drive, etc.). Then if you REALLY screw-it-up, you can restore it at least back to the way it was......

You could try to un-install the Windows Updates you just got(At least those that are un-installable.), to see if it helps? Should be available on your WUD history list. If no help, re-install them. If it DOES help - re-install them one-at-a-time, then do a re-boot and a "video check", before installing the next one, etc., to try to find the 'problem causing' update. Going back to a "system restore point" may help? Don't know, never tried it(I'd back-it-up, first!).

Other possibility --- MY 'streaming' videos were "suddenly" bad, recently. Tried lots of stuff - no luck. Then I finally un-installed Adobe Flash Player, then re-installed the latest AFP. All is fine, since... In other words - try updating(New Codec or video drivers?), uninstalling/reinstalling ALL the software that "works with" your videos. One place you should look is AT Windows Update, itself! If you do "automatic" WUD's, you may never see WUD trying to tell you there is a new "hardware update", or some "other" update, that you need(Though everyone may not.). WUD is pretty good at telling me when my video drivers, for instance, are out-dated - but I'm not sure that happens if you have WUD set to "auto-update only the critical" stuff(I've never tried it.)...

If "it" happens "all-at-once", try to figure out and remove/correct what the last thing you did/changed/installed, etc., was......

If "it" happens "over time"(Days, a couple of weeks?), you better be doing regular image backups(And keeping a stock of them - like once a week for the last four weeks!). "Over time" problems are generally software "going bad", or hardware "going bad". If you wait until it REALLY breaks, you may be "done" with that hard drive and everything on it.

Have Fun!(And I mean that - if it's not fun, wait until you feel more like playing IT. Don't work on the machine when you're mad at it or tired.).....

Edited by Teddy G., 29 September 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#3 TB5

TB5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:23 AM

Thanks for the advice Teddy. I was getting worried as I can usually at least pinpoint what the issue is that's causing problems, but as I mentioned above, I was completely out of ideas. Fortunately Windows released another update tonight that fixed the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users