Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean reinstall incomplete?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michboru

Michboru

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Dell Inspiron 8600, Windows XP Pro w/SP2, home networking environment via cable modem, purchased used on eBay about 3 years ago. It's been idle for almost a year. Performed XP reinstall becuase of several nagging problems, such as inability to completely load AVG, increasing Internet connectivity issues, etc. Moved all files to an external hard drive, then did the reinstall using the MS XP OS disc that came with the laptop. Reinstall is long and annoying but it finally worked after two tries, but machine would not connect to the Internet. All other network devices operating normally. Device Manager displays that alarming yellow question mark icon on the "Other Devices" list and on all devices in the list, including Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, Network Conrtoller, PCI Modem, and Video Controller. I tried all the troubleshooters available, but no luck. I don't knw what to try next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

You need to install the chipset driver followed by all other relevant drivers. Go to the Dell website, enter your service tag number, and get the drivers for your system.

#3 Michboru

Michboru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

OK! Getting the chipset helped but old problem persists. Device Manager indicates all hardware running properly. Service Pack 3 downloaded and installed. BUT - Wireless Connection icon in system tray displays exclamation point (!)inside triangle. Network Connection Status dialogue box shows same symbol on "Received" side of connection. System tray error message states "Limited or no connectivity", but that's not necessarily true because I'm in your website. Google Chrome is the default browser but it takes a full 30-60 seconds to load, and then does not display its own Homepage graphic unless I click the "Home" icon. Content-rich sites like YouTube are jumpy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users