Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

c.d. track names no longer readable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Syncopator

Syncopator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

I have occasionally recorded live music with a Sony Walkman Professional WM-D6C and subsequently transferred the recordings to c.d.

They are edited in Cool Edit Pro if necessary. Sometimes the whole track of a cassette has been transferred to c.d. as one file, others I have separated items into separate files so that each of them can be assigned a name which will appear in, for example, Windows Media Player.

With a view to extracting one or two of the tracks from one such c.d. recorded a few years ago, which had individual names to the tracks, I put it in the c.d. drive and track names and durations were displayed in Windows Media Player. For reasons which completely escape me the tracks appeared out of order in the player's list; 6, 11, 9, 2 are those I remember, and they included a music track which was of a completely different genre and a sound effects file which also surprised me. I was able to select either of these two tracks and play them.

The disc was put aside for a while. When I next put it in the drive and looked at the files, only one file is shown, as Track01.cda 44 bytes with no name.

Media Player displays it as Track 1 and shows the full duration of it.

Furthermore, the odd music item and the sound effect aren't, apparently, there any more, at least the c.d. plays through and I hear only the main genre of music which I should have been there.

Most mysterious. I wasn't drunk, I don't take drugs.

Does anybody know what might have happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

It could be that your tracks appeared out of order because of the way WMP sorted them. If they were sorted by name, it's highly unlikely that the tracks would also be in numerical order. Did you try sorting by the columns?

If an audio CD has been made, you cannot treat the file like a Windows file. It's a long time since I delved into all that but the cda file is basically a pointer, it's not the audio itself. Put the CD into a player and it will be interpreted correctly. If that one track has a number of tunes on it, you will probably have to rip the audio CD into a wav file (using dBpoweramp, CDex etc), separate the tunes to individual wavs and store in whatever format you desire. You can probably do that in Cool Edit Pro.

Audio CDs have very little information on them, not even the track titles are stored on the CD. The player only knows the track number off the CD. The CD format was set in the mid 70s before the age of PCs. People played CDs on stereo systems which were dumb, no operating system there. You had to look at the jewel case sleeve to see the track titles. As PCs became household items, an internal player could play as a dumb player through the sound card. As software players were invented to complement the hardware, the ability to store track information, album art etc was born. These days you download all that stuff online eg freedb. None of that is on a standard audio CD (but may be on hybrid disks).

Edited by Nanobyte, 06 October 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#3 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Furthermore, the odd music item and the sound effect aren't, apparently, there any more, at least the c.d. plays through and I hear only the main genre of music which I should have been

Strange indeed. Maybe Cool Edit was a demo version, and didn't support all its features? I dunno.

I've never used Cool Edit, I use Audacity and never experienced what has happened to you. (I don't use WMP either)

you will probably have to rip the audio CD into a wav file

Yes. Here's what I use.

Audacity is free, and can rip/sort the music files, and add tags. (and much more)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

EAC (free) will also rip CD's and add CD text. (the best IMHO)

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

(I use the old version 0.95, more accurate, I think)

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/older-versions-for-download/

I burn the cds with Nero, ($$$) or Burrrn, (free) also adding the song titles, and info.
Or using a cuesheet. (Google how to create a cuesheet for CD)

http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-461-burrrn

(I also burn using Toast on my Mac)

I usually see the CD info (track #, Title, cd name etc) in my car stereo as it scrolls across the LED. So I know it works.
but some players won't read the CD text/tags. And sometimes iTunes won't read the CD text/tags from the CD either, which is a PITA.
But . . .
If I add the tags with Audacity, then drag the file into iTunes, it will see the track song names, album names, etc. (Maybe someday iTunes will get it right)

the cda file is basically a pointer, it's not the audio itself.

Yes, that's a Windows thing.
FWIW when you put a CD in a Mac, it will show the actual music file as AIFF (Macs version of Wav). Which is kinda cool. So its a simple copy and paste from CD to Mac. :)

I literally burned hundreds of CDs for the trading community, rarely had any problems using the software I mentioned.

Edited by 12x48y, 07 October 2012 - 07:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users