Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

game LAN using Homegroup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aintgotno

aintgotno

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hello everyone. What I'm trying to do is get 3 computers to network for game play (I can use 2 using bluetooth PAN). All three computers are new and running Windows 7. The game is EAgames Zero Hour. It plays fine on all computers separately. Please help get me started. Should I set up a homegroup? Or use a wireless router? Or a router w/cables. I have all kinds or routers and equipment I'm just not a network person. NOTE I cant use the internet. Just 3 computers in the same room. THANKS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

The best way would be to set up a Lan between the 3 PC's you can use a Switch Like this Netgear Model and assign each PC a static IP address on the same network
For example
  • PC1 would be IP 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0
  • PC 2 192.168.1.2 subnet 255.255.255.0
  • PC 3 IP address 192.168.1.3 subnet 255.255.255.0
Or use one of your routers laying around, Make sure the router is restored to factory defaults. Leave all the PC's off and connect them to the routers switch ports numbered 1-4. Do not use the WAN or Internet Port. Turn on the router (note the router Internet or WAN connection light wont be lit and its not needed for this setup). Turn on the PC's and make sure they all have an IP address. Start the game on each pc and from the main menu select Network. This will take you to a gaming lobby where you should see the other PC's. If you cant see the other PC's try disabling windows Firewall (temporarily you should re enable it when connecting to the internet). I apologize in advance I do not know much about the game or configuring it to Connect on a LAN I have not found a definitive set up guide yet.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 30 September 2012 - 10:59 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users