Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 Burn Marks on case where mobo would sit

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Staffordz

Staffordz

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi guys this is a follow up thread from Constant CPU / No Signal / No Boot

I decided to RMA my motherboard. After i removed it from the case to ready it for pick up i noticed 3 small burn marks inside my case, directly underneath where the motherboard would sit.

Here is a picture

http://i.imgur.com/8tp4B.jpg

Any idea what could have caused this?

I did notice that the top right corner of the mobo wasn't as secure as it could be but these burn marks are situated right in the middle of all the stand offs...

I really hope it isn't evidence of the motherboard short circuiting as i have it all packed up and ready to go and really don't want to be billed for misrepresentation of a product plus all the hassle of having to see it off just for it to be returned if infact it wasn't faulty afterall.

Any insight on what this may be is greatly appreciated. If you need any more pictures to help judge what it is just say and i will provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Burney

Burney

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

I would say the computer being dropped and/or a short from the power cable is what caused the problem. Are you covered for accidental damage in your warranty? if not it never hurts to just say it "broke" and see if they replace it.

#3 Staffordz

Staffordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I doubt i am covered for accidental damage seen as it is from Amazon. I had the motherboard back out to bench and test but after reading your post i decided against it and packed it away once more. I'm scared in-case i bleep it up or worse, damage the processor. Putting the computer together was my first build and even then my friend did most of it and didn't really explain anything. The ass hat halfed arsed it and went at it with a kind of 'oh well lol' approach to screwing it in with stand offs and such. Atleast i'm wiser now, troubleshooting it has taught me what most of the different areas are and made me wiser for the future. Rebuilding this thing with a new motherboard purchased with the hopefull refund will be my first true build.

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

Has it ever been dropped? The two larger burn marks are distributed evenly between two spacers, making me think the board somehow got pushed on and a short might have occurred.

Check the back side of the motherboard. If there are burn marks, try to take a picture of them and we will be able to tell you more about what might have happened :)

MD
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#5 Staffordz

Staffordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yo MDTechService! Nope i have never dropped it. Nothing has ever happened which made me think 'OH SH1T'. It has travelled loads though.. i have picked it up and carried it down many flights of stairs (which is no small feat considering the huge ass nzxt phantom case :P) also drove it around in the boot of cars dozens of times but it has always turned on and worked as soon as i set it up at the destination.

It's a peculiar one to say the least.

The back and front sides of the motherboard all look fine, i couldn't see any abnormalitys at all.. although i cannot speak for what may be under the thermal armour. I did notice 2 screws protruding from the back of the motherboard, they look weird.. here is 2 pictures..

1 http://imgur.com/KvdzH
2 http://imgur.com/lwAUH

I doubt those screws caused the burns as i aligned it up and they are in a different area from the suspect marks.

Regardless it has been picked up and is on its way to Amazon to be examined and refunded. I'm just interested in what caused this so as to be able to avoid such a thing in the future!

I doubt i'll be buying another Sabertooth Rev b3 due the amount of similiar horror storys i have now read but i cannot see any other mobo's that interest me.. This is slightly off topic but does anyone have any recomendations for a good <150 1155 replacement that won't crap out on me due or not to my incompetance? lol.

I would like to thank everyone involved for the effort and time trying to help resolve this situation! Cheers.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Those screws look OK to me, They are probably used to attache a heat sink by the look of them. They may also have conducted heat that cause those brown marks.

To ensure a good suggestion for the motherboard it would be helpful to know the CPU model (Designation) as the old board supports many different CPUs.

If you want another ASUS for example go to http://support.asus.com/cpu.aspx?Slanguage=en

CPU Support
This section helps you to get the newest CPU support information.Select one of the options for CPU search:

Search by CPU
Get the list of supported models

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Yes, those are spring load screws for a heatsink. Nothing wrong there.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

the thing I find weird about the 2 screws is ,you should be able to see what they are for by just flipping over the motherboard ,looking at the motherboard picture in a google search it looks like they are for the heatsink and in the picture it looks like they might have been loose.

http://content.etilize.com/500/1021244307.jpg

Edited by caperjac, 28 September 2012 - 03:50 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 Staffordz

Staffordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

To ensure a good suggestion for the motherboard it would be helpful to know the CPU model (Designation) as the old board supports many different CPUs.

Sorry for not being clear about that. I have an intel i5 2500k processor that uses a 1155 socket. I have not OC'D the CPU as i have just been running the stock cooler for now but i would prefer a motherboard that supports overclocking for the future, does not have a small form factor and balances as many features as possible with reliability.

Yes, those are spring load screws for a heatsink. Nothing wrong there.

Yes i thought as much, thanks!

the thing I find weird about the 2 screws is ,you should be able to see what they are for by just flipping over the motherboard ,looking at the motherboard picture in a google search it looks like they are for the heatsink and in the picture it looks like they might have been loose.

http://content.etilize.com/500/1021244307.jpg

The motherboard that you linked is not mine. It does look sweet though! Wouldn't mind going for that one this time around, can anyone ID it?

My (late, deceased) motherboard looks like this: http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/xcgal/albums/userpics/asusSabertoothP67/normal_IMG_3226.JPG

Even harder to see where those pesky screws go too!

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hi,
I have identified the Motherboard it is a Workstation Motherboard
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77_WS/

P8Z77 WS
50% Upgrade With Gen 3 Graphics Power

Best Graphics Performance with Gen3 CrossFireX™ and Geforce® SLI™
Dual Server Class Intel® Gigabit LAN Lower CPU Utilization and Improve Throughput Quality
Up to 60% Hybrid Graphics Boost and 3X Faster Video Conversion with LucidLogix Virtu MVP
3X Faster Performance with one-click ASUS SSD Caching
Fan Xpert 2 - The Most Customizable Fan Controls

OK from ASUS That Motherboard supports your processor since BIOS 0502.

The one place I looked showed it as out of stock and when in stock at $339. It did have good user review2s however.

Not a cheap motherboard.

If you use that link I posted earlier you can see a list of all the ASUS motherboards that support your processor.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 September 2012 - 09:32 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 Staffordz

Staffordz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thanks a bunch for id'ing :)

Unfortunately that is completely out of my price range haha, I'll be going for something round the 150 mark. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users