Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about VPN servers and ip addresses.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cohensalve

Cohensalve

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

For example, if the vpn servers are located in Australia.

Can the vpn server still provide another country's ip address ( for example Netherlands) and be subjected to Netherland's internet restriction laws ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CarlosH

CarlosH

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

For example, if the vpn servers are located in Australia.

Can the vpn server still provide another country's ip address ( for example Netherlands) and be subjected to Netherland's internet restriction laws ?

If you have your server in Australia and a VPN connection somewhere is Netherlands, you could configure your server and VPN to use the internet from the Netherlands site. If you look at your WAN ip from the Australia Server it will show the Netherlands IP.
But why not host it directly?

I don't know about the laws so for that part you might need to ask a lawyer.

#3 Cohensalve

Cohensalve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

If you have your server in Australia and a VPN connection somewhere is Netherlands, you could configure your server and VPN to use the internet from the Netherlands site. If you look at your WAN ip from the Australia Server it will show the Netherlands IP.
But why not host it directly?

I don't know about the laws so for that part you might need to ask a lawyer.

Oh I see.. Actually I am not the one hosting it. I am interested in signing up for a VPN, but wanted to seek more clarification regarding their server locations.

Like for example, I stay in Australia, definitely it is better to get a VPN provider which has servers in Australia for better speeds. But if the server in Australia is still subjected by Australia internet laws, there is no point in getting a VPN server there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users