Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone heard of these software people please?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bobbycow36

bobbycow36

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Hi, hope this posting is ok here. If not please say and I'll take it wherever!
Would appreciate it if anyone could help me.
Anyone heard of the Complete Software Center online?
They are selling Microsoft products at a serious discount e.g. MS Office 2010 Professional AE (Academic)
download $94.99. This comprises Word, Access, Outlook, Publisher, Powerpoint, Excel and One Note.
On Amazon this sells for $380. I don't actually need all this but it is a cheaper package than some of the business ones with less software - they explain this as that they are short of the latter but have loads of the Pro AE packages - supply and demand.

I can't find a mention of them on the internet good or bad, but I am always a bit suspicious when something seems to be too good to be true. I have asked them how come they can sell so cheap and they explain they have bought up a lot of packages because retailers are selling them off in preparation for the release of Windows 8 and MS Office 2013. If true I gues that makes sense.

Would appreciate hearing if anyone has done business with them or has heard anything before I part with my money.
Many thanks
BC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

I am not sure if the site is legit or not but this is a few pointers to keep yourself safe.

How to Spot Software Scams

Some of the warning signs that a vendor is not operating legitimately are:

•If the price is way out of line from the prices offered by reputable, authorized resellers such as your local computer store or well-known online retailers such as Amazon.com.

•If the merchant has a page on their site or in their FAQ explaining how they are legal, they probably aren't.

•If the merchant's "terms of sales and service" page has a statement that you give up the right to initiate a chargeback through your credit card company, be very concerned. (Some will even claim the right to counter-sue you for fraud if you initiate a charge-back!)

•If you are required to use a special number or procedure for activating your software before you can use it, you are likely getting a hacked version that bypasses the manufacturer's embedded product activation.

•If the offer was received by unsolicited email (spam) or posted on an Internet message board.

•If the product is advertised as an OEM, NFR, or academic version. (OEM software is only to be sold with hardware such as new computer systems. NFR stands for not for resale and is generally distributed for evaluation purposes and beta testing. Academic versions can only be purchased by students, teachers, and education faculty.)

•If the packaging is inconsistent with the same products offered through reputable sellers.

•If the product is advertised a "full version" but states that you will receive only CDs.

•If the product is advertised as a "backup copy" with serial number.

•If the seller states that the software can't be registered.

•If the Web site has not been online very long. (You can check this by doing a whois search on the domain name and looking at the creation date.)

•If the Web site address does not use a proper domain name, but a series of numbers instead (i.e. http://68.33.34.128).

•If the company does not provide a full business name, street address, or phone number.

•If the company offers no warranty or refund policy.

Took this from the following website: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/faq/a/softwarescams.htm
Posted Image

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

I have not heard of that software selling company. From the research I have done, the domain was registered this past July. I found one site that suggests that this name is one of several different names used by a company selling illegal software, but this was but one mention. Not sure if I would put much credence on that. That said, I have explored MS and elsewhere for pricing and licensing terms. Given what I have found, I suspect that the site in question is selling that software illegally.

From what I have read, the Academic Edition is for students and offered at a much lower price. You must prove that you are a student in order to receive that price.

Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Academic is available only from authorized Microsoft Educational resellers as a Boxed Full Version, but for the discount price of $99.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5697&review=Microsoft+Office+2010+Buyers+Guide+Breaking+Down+the+Office+2010+Editions

Nowhere can I find mention of Complete Software Center being an authorized Microsoft Educational reseller. The fact that they also didn't mention it when you inquired raises several red flags.

Also read here: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/office/terms.aspx

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 bobbycow36

bobbycow36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Many thanks for the really helpful replies guys - you went to a lot of trouble
I'm convinced now they're bad news so I'll stay away
I'll keep a copy of the scap check list though - might need that again!
BC

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Not to mention the age old axiom. "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't." And of course the ages old Latin phrase "Caveat Emptor" (Buyer Beware).

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

You're welcome bobbycow36, and welcome to BC :welcome:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Thank you OB, I had an edit fail when adding a greeting to our new member in my reply.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Just a comment:
Some places *do* sell Academic Microsoft Office 2010 for $30 dollars, with licenses to install onto 3 computers. Usually at the libraries or book stores of universities.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

In such situations, the university or academic institution in question has a special arrangement with Microsoft. In order to legally acquire one of those copies, you need to be a student, staff member, or otherwise officially associated with the academic institution according to the requirements they list. As an example, were I a student at Indiana University, I could get Microsoft Office 10 for free. This is the case with other software packages as well, even operating systems.

Orange Blossom

#10 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Academic requires proof that you are a student to receive the discount. The pricing is about right I paid about $100 for mine when I took accredited course that required it. However, there are tons of fake sites that "supposedly" sell MS Office, Windows, Photoshop etc for almost 90% off. My suggestion is to go to a well known store such as NewEgg, TigerDirect or Amazon for your purchases. You may also look into LibreOffice which I use that offers a compatible open source solution to MS Office for free with many of the same features.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

FWIW:

http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/about , note general disclaimer at bottom.

http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/PartnerDetails.aspx?PartnerId=4298727572

Louis

#12 Neatoboy

Neatoboy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

FWIW:

http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/about , note general disclaimer at bottom.

http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/PartnerDetails.aspx?PartnerId=4298727572

Louis

Why would Microsoft allow this company (scammers???) on their Pinpoint website if they are selling illegal copies of their software?

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

I suspect that MS doesn't oversight Pinpoint. Please note the huge disclaimer at the bottom of the Pinpoint page.

Orange Blossom

#14 Neatoboy

Neatoboy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

I suspect that MS doesn't oversight Pinpoint. Please note the huge disclaimer at the bottom of the Pinpoint page.

I just noticed that they have now been removed from PinPoint but have re-appeared under a new name (Software Care World). Their old website which was only registered in July 2012 (http://whois.net/whois/completesoftwarecenter.com) is now gone and has been replaced with a new name (Software Care World) and website (https://softwarecareworld.com/). And what makes things worse is the "new" business appears again on Microsoft PinPoint. Microsoft really need to do something to fix their PinPoint website if they are going to keep letting these scammers on there!

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Some reviews // http://www.scambook.com/company/view/79407/Complete-Software-Center

Many software licence fails in the coming months
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users