Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Focus Stealing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 callamfzb

callamfzb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Heyo!

After some research, I'm pretty sure my problem is called Focus Stealing, I've looked at a bunch of forums/threads on the internet but each seem to have individual symptoms etc so the fix to someone's problem is not the same fix to someone else's. This is probably going to be a long post, but I want to make sure I provide as much detail as possible...

I've had my computer for 2 months. This one: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03251727#N477
For the past few weeks suddenly I'm experiencing focus stealing, from just a couple hours after turning on my computer to the whole length of time my computer has been turned on. At least right now, it is occurring every 60 seconds.
For example, I'll have just one window open, and the computer will suddenly act as if I clicked the desktop so the window is deselected/not active...VERY annoying when I'm typing (in a word doc, this post, anything) cuz if I'm not watching, half of what I've typed ended up typing into nothing, so I have to start over.
Additionally, when playing a full screen game or full screening a video, the game will minimize as if I alt+tab, or full screen video will return to a window.

I need to make it clear (as I've read in other threads elsewhere) I'm definitely not alt+tab'ing accidentally, or clicking the little clear box in the bottom right corner that shows the desktop.
I also cannot press alt+tab the moment the focus is stolen to see what program is doing it...I've had a lot of practice and nothing ever shows up.
Obviously this is not a laptop so there is no track pad to accidentally press or something like that.
I've done a virus scan with Norton (free trial with the computer, I have since uninstalled it as the free trial expired) and done spyware checks and I get nothing. This also seems to be a common symptom with other people.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to have as little programs/processes/services running as possible. I'm no expert but I've tried turning off as much as I can yet it still happens. There must be something that's trying to update, get my attention, or something, without showing up. And it's only decided to do it relatively recently. I've tried watching the processes in the task manager and nothing shows up for the split second the focus is stolen. I've tried a couple of process monitoring programs but they didn't really do anything. But perhaps you guys could recommend something.

If you need screen shots of my task manager, program list, credit card details or my mother, I shall provide them.

THANK YOU very much in advance, I will owe you many high fives.

Edited by callamfzb, 26 September 2012 - 08:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

If you need screen shots of my task manager, program list, credit card details or my mother, I shall provide them.

Hello -
Nothing as dramatic as that is required, but I agree that the problem is very annoying
What happens is another program / application attempts to appear in the background of your current screen picture -

There are several "given solutions" but I have not yet found a direct all in one solution for all cases.
Some claim it is your default Media Player "mixing" with another downloaded Media Player from ?? You Tube etc.

I will not post an exact answer, but only add that it is common and "Focus Stealing" has been around since XP versions -

Hopefully someone has found a correct solution that works with most of these problems, but do not panic as help will be here later today I hope -

Regards -

#3 callamfzb

callamfzb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
I don't know if it would be a media player, it happens even when I'm not playing music or videos. It's happening right now--I only have this Firefox browser open.
Not panicking yet, just putting up with it...just...haha

ps I just ran a full Malware Bytes scan in safe mode and it came up with nothing. I know it's not virus/etc but I can rule it out for sure.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:40 AM

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloads/UWT.zip << Ultimate Windows Tweaker, a Tweak UI for Windows 7 & Vista
This is a freeware TweakUI utility titled Ultimate Windows Tweaker. I have no experience with it but it may be worth a look.
How To Prevent Programs From Stealing Focus in Windows This is a XP version, but I have included the Win7 Tweak U above

Focus stealing when Googled lists many things (malware is always a suspect) but mainly settings and similar items - There is even a page in Wiki -

Try the above and see if anything works for you -

#5 callamfzb

callamfzb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

UWT is an interesting program, but I can't find any option to disable programs from stealing focus. I checked twice. I did find some instructions somewhere on how to do it for the windows xp version, but it's not on that one. Damn.
I followed the regedit instructions from the second link, my value was the same. So it's not that...great suggestion though!

Yeah I've read about it on wiki/google/other forums...its a tricky one. Everyone has unique solution.
This is worse than a virus. And I've had some real shockers...smart hdd trojan...that's half the reason why I have a new computer, ha.

Thanks again for the reply!

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hi -
Although I fully understand your problem, I have not found an exact answer for you :(

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=162906 << Windows 7 Forum seems to be your next option ??
I have been all over the web looking tor a solution for your particular problem, but it still eludes me -

It is unfortunate but, try Windows7 Forum, is all I can offer now, unless someone else can directly help -

Sorry -

#7 callamfzb

callamfzb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

No problem, thank you for your time and effort, it's very kind of you.
I'll be sure to come back and post the solution should I find one...thanks!

#8 callamfzb

callamfzb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

So it appears my focus stealing is no more--and all it took was a chat with my room mate, ha.
I just uninstalled my TP-Link wireless internet interface program thing...even though that's been installed on my computer well before the focus-stealing began.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users