Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI ransomware infection- windows xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spork92

spork92

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

This morning the pc appeared fine, but this afternoon I got a phone call from my DB (dear boyfriend)that the computer has a virus. I've been at work and unable to look at it for myself but want to get a head start on getting rid of this thing.

We have windows XP with two seperate user accounts. He was logged onto his account and it popped up with the FBI message and locked the computer. After restarting he's learned that he can access his account in safe mode with networking, and my account can be accessed normally. We have Norton Anti-Virus which is updated regularly, but according to him is "acting funny" he says the firewall is turned off and as well as other protection features. Also, we can not restore to an earlier point. He has a computer friend who wants us to download ARO 2012 and use that. We only have access to the internet via phones at home other than the infected computer. Any thoughts? I've used this site before to get rid of a trojan and you guys were so helpful, this is why I come to you again. Thanks so much

Jen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hellom spork92

Use this Guide and let us know how it is..

Remove the FBI MoneyPak Ransomware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 spork92

spork92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Thank you for your quick response. In the time it took me to write that, my db ran the program that his friend advised him to use, even though I asked him not to. It seems to have removed the virus, but how can I be sure?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

I am guessing you ran ComboFix.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 spork92

spork92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

no it was ARO 2012...

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

Well ,I am a bit surprised that that coukd do it but perhaps I'll learn something too.
To be sure start a new topic. Titled you want to know if FBI ransomware is gone.

Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run (it may not on a 64 bit system) skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users