Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound/No Volume Icon/No Playback Devices

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dschribs

dschribs

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hi All

I have been on this form before the members on here have solved every issue I have had in the past. Hoping someone can help me out with my latest "issue".

I came home today to find my computer has no sound. I also have no volume icon in the task bar. When I right click on the task bar to make the volume control visible - there is no option to do so.

When I go to the volume control option under All Programs - Accessories - Entertainment, I get the following message:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices go to Control Panel, click printers & Other Hardware and then click Add Hardware. When I do that it seems as thought it wants me to install the "Multimedia Audio Controller" but the install always fails.

Help!! I am out of options.

Thank you very much!!!
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Please post the computer model on your next post. Did it worked prior and did it just happen suddenly? Please check your device manager for any marks on your sound controller.

Tekken

#3 dschribs

dschribs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

Computer is a Dell Optiplex GX270. An older model I know...

It worked yesterday and did not work today. My Step-son was using the computer last night and said it all of a sudden happened when he was on U Tube but who can be sure with him. He does plug in his iphone and ipod into the USB jack and hardly ever properly disconnects before he pulls the USB cord out. I am wondering if that may have something to do with it...

In terms of the Device Manager

I have a yellow question mark next to Other Devices
- Under that I have a yellow question (and a yellow exclamation Point on top of that)next to Multimedia Audio Controller

Thanks for the help so far!!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hi -
Support for Home Users
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers?c=us&l=en&s=dhs << Start here - Look to see if your drivers can be updated first

Next try HERE optiplex gx270 drivers - Dell

Hope it helps a bit -

#5 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

I would try downloading the ADI sound drivers and installing them, then rebooting. That download was listed as the onboard audio driver for the Dell Optiplex GX270.

#6 dschribs

dschribs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

Thanks!! I will try that when I get home tonight.

- Do I need to UNINSTALL the "Multimedia Audio Controller" prior to downloading the driver(s)?

#7 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

It is probably unnecessary, but I always uninstall old drivers from device manager by right-click > uninstall before installing new drivers. I don't think it really matters one way or another.

#8 dschribs

dschribs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Success!!!!!!

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users