Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 not booting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mercuryrsng

mercuryrsng

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

I am helping a friend out with her laptop. She got a malware attack, which I started to assist her with by running basic malware removal programs, but then a few days later, Windows stopped loading. When I turn on the laptop, after it posts, I get "Windows is loading files" (I am not in front of it now, but I am almost positive that's what it says". Windows doesn't load. I have also tried Safe Mode...same thing. I removed the hard drive and there is still data in the hard drive, but my thought is there is a problem with the windows files. is there anything that I can try besides backing up the files and re-loading windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

You can use a system restore disk to attempt restore to an earlier point in time or attempt startup recovery.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

You can use a system restore disk to attempt restore to an earlier point in time or attempt startup recovery.

I have no idea what a system restore disc is - nor will the OP.

Mercury - unfortunately, sometimes virus attacks are so severe that the only remaining resort is a full format and reinstall. You may need to go that route. Also, keep in mind that the files on that drive MAY be infected, depending on the specific virus in question.

#4 mercuryrsng

mercuryrsng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

OK Thanks for the advice..It's a Dell so I am going to try the system recovery partition before I format...

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Okay that's fine. But assuming there is only one partition (other than the system recovery partition) and you are referring to a system recovery partition, you will lose all data by restoring to factory shipped state

Edited by Allan, 26 September 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#6 mercuryrsng

mercuryrsng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

Yeah I am aware of that. There is just a windows partition and then a recovery partition.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

okay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users