Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless mouse & keyboard excessive battery usage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

My friend has an AIO computer with Win 7 64-bit that is about 1 1/2 years old
--- He has a wireless mouse and keyboard that came with the system and has been working well
--- However, he has been changing the batteries very often recently
--- So now he shuts off the wireless mouse and removes the battery(s) from the wireless keyboard when he shuts the computer down
How can I help him fix his problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Look for a more efficient mouse and keyboard. Some allow you to individually shut off both the mouse and keyboard when not using them to save power. Logitech has one such model for about $40. The degree of battery efficiency can vary greatly from one model to another, so make sure you check out product reviews before you purchase :)
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Just for comparison, I get approx a month on cheap batteries on my Logitech wireless mouse used 5 days a month. The keyboard lasts over a year.

Battery life will be dependent on a couple of factors.

1. How much use on the mouse. ON mine the Red LED goes bright in use, thus using more battery, I would expect the same with the keyboard.
Since a keypress on the keyboard most likely triggers the transmitter using more power, same with mouse movements.
2. How good is the battery. Cheapo Kodak non alkaline batteries for example last a lot shorter time than a Duracell does. Even country of origin can impact battery life. I knew someone that tried some Made in China dollar store batteries, They weren't worth the effort to install them.

Hope this helps
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users