Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu stopped working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tonyba

Tonyba

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

Ok here is my problem, ran malwarebytes and cleaned virus, (trojan) Now my start menu does not work when clicked and programs do not show on the task bar. Need some help on this. Tried restore point, did not work. Researched and nothing. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,543 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.
===

Your infection may have cause this start menu issues. Try this.

To make your files visible again, please download the following program to your desktop:

Unhide.exe

Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.

This may take sometime, please let if finish.
=====

However, the newer variants of the FakeHDD rogue programs are now deleting the following folders and storing them into a numbered folder under %Temp%\smtmp\:

%Temp%\smtmp\1\ => %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu
%Temp%\smtmp\2\ => %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
%Temp%\smtmp\3\ => %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
%Temp%\smtmp\4\ => %AllUsersProfile%\Desktop

It goes without saying that running a %temp% cleaner ahead of restoration would result in loss of these folders <- you may have already run such a tool.

Keep me posted.

#3 Tonyba

Tonyba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thats not the problem, I have unhide. There is no click for the start menu. When it is click it does nothing. Also Programs do not show running on the task bar.
Thanks

#4 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,543 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
    • DDS.scr <- not recommended if you use Chrome to download this .scr file. Use the other options.
    • DDS.pif
    • DDS.COM
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run.

Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post. DO NOT attach the log.

While I check your log have a look at this article.

http://ask-leo.com/my_taskbar_is_missing_and_i_have_no_start_button_what_do_i_do.html

See what you can do to restore your Taskbar.

#5 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,543 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

Are you still with me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users