Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to do CHKDSK via Linux

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leachim

leachim

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

I have a Dell Laptop which will not boot from the internal drive

I have taken it out and plugged in in via USB to another computer and Windows says it ought to reformat the disk etc

Can't get into it via Repair my Computer as it is not recognized

HOWEVER

I boot a computer with a Linux Live disk (FatDog) and plug it in via USB and all files can be read....

Now - I want to do a CHKDSK on it

How can I do this in Linux ????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi,

before doing this I would a) backup all the data you have on the drive and B) check if the hard disk is failing. If you do a chkdsk on a failing disk this can potentially cause more harm than good. Thirdly you will need to figure out how the hard drive was formatted to do a chkdsk on it. Is it a fat32 or an ntfs formatted drive? (Or something else entirely?)

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 devastator

devastator

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

Hi ,

i think u have a corrupted partition table , dont bother with chkdisk under linux if its a windows disk
there are rescue tools around ( bootable also ) but u seriously have to know what your doing ..

since its a notebook drive , get a USB converter for your disk ( depends if its sata or not )

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2005/08/21/usb_2_0_to_ide_cable_version_2/

backup the contents u find relevant , or do a checkdisk on the disk once u have backupped your data

#4 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Thanks

Useful info !

Actually, I have just run Ultimate Boot CD and in the Programs list there is Easeus Partition Tool under Disc Tools (or something like that)

In this partition tool there is a CHKDSK facility !!!

Ran that a couple time on the dodgy drive and partition and the damn thing booted when I put it back in the laptop

Amazing when you know how....

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users