Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD can't be found

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ryutso

Ryutso

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

Last night, I lost power a couple times in rapid succession. I came home to find my computer stuck in a blue screen boot loop and finally got to see the message after disabling the "Restart on failure" feature.

I got the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THEN error message and something about USBport.sys was wrong. I unplugged everything USB from my computer and it booted fine, but now my external HD can't be found.

What I mean by "can't be found" is that, even though it's plugged in and spins up, nothing appears under "My Computer". I've tried switching cords and switching ports, restarting, but nothing.

HD: WD MyBook 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

right click on mycomputer and choose manage ,then disk management ,does it show there ,if the external is the older type that the case comes apart ,try taking apart and unplugging data cable and plugging it back in

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

Also test the USB port by plugging a different USB device in and making sure it works.
What make and model of external drive is it?

Last night, I lost power a couple times in rapid succession.

This sort of thing has been known to damage hardware.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Ryutso

Ryutso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

right click on mycomputer and choose manage ,then disk management ,does it show there ,if the external is the older type that the case comes apart ,try taking apart and unplugging data cable and plugging it back in

It does not show, but I'm not sure how to open the case.

Also test the USB port by plugging a different USB device in and making sure it works.
What make and model of external drive is it?

Last night, I lost power a couple times in rapid succession.

This sort of thing has been known to damage hardware.

Good Luck
Roger

It's a WD MyBook 500GB model, not sure of the real model number, but it has to plug into a wall.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Did You test the USB Port to be sure it is OK?

Also Try the drive on another computer to be sure it isn't your computer that is the problem.

I'm suspicious of both since it didn't boot with it plugged in.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Ryutso

Ryutso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Did You test the USB Port to be sure it is OK?

Also Try the drive on another computer to be sure it isn't your computer that is the problem.

I'm suspicious of both since it didn't boot with it plugged in.

Good Luck
Roger

USB Port is okay. It reads my flash drive, my mouse and my webcam.

The hard drive also works on any computer, BUT my desktop.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Hi, That means the drive is OK if you can see it and access files from another computer. Good News. Did you try different USB ports. DO you know how to get to the Device manager?
One way is Click Start, Then right Click on Computer, Pick Properties. Device manager is on the left hand side.
Once it is open, With the drive plugged in, does it show any Yellow or red marks?

Try expanding Drives and see if your External shows up there.
You can also try uninstalling all the usb ports. To do that right click on each USB device and select Uninstall. If you see the Hard drive Uninstall it too.

Restart and see what happens.

I'm still somewhat worried by this

I got the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THEN error message and something about USBport.sys was wrong. I unplugged everything USB from my computer and it booted fine, but now my external HD can't be found.

That implies there is some sort of problem with the drive or it's enclosure.

I don't want to dive deep inside until other easy things are tried.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 September 2012 - 05:50 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

With the computer powered down, connect your external drive to a usb port with its power adapter then try booting up your Vista computer. The only other choice I could see is to reinstall your operating system since other PCs were able to recognized the external drive. Do you have any installed software for the portable drive on your Vista computer? Try also reinstalling USB controller by your device manager. See also here to check for any remnants of your WD drive by device manager and try removing it if present. Windows will reinstall the generic driver the next time you plug in your drive.

Tekken

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

The only other choice I could see is to reinstall your operating system since other PCs were able to recognized the external drive. .

wow ,do you work at the local computer repair shop near me ,that how they fix everything ,even rouge antivirus scams .lol

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

wow ,do you work at the local computer repair shop near me ,that how they fix everything ,even rouge antivirus scams .lol

A portable drive that is not recognized by a certain computer but works on every others is not easily resolved by just mere swapping, testing. It looks more of a software or system problem in this case. The method of reinstalling is a last choice if all other suggestions are exhausted. Seen That, Been there. B)

Tekken

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

I would uninstall USB in usb controllers in device manger as a first thing ,I would run sfc /scannow ,to check for corrupt/misssing system file and the list go on im sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users