Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Android Device to PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

Good morning friends, this question might fall under networking or mobile devices, but I think it's more a PC question.
My goal is to forge a setup where I am able to conveniently stream media from my home media PC to my Android smartphone (Galaxy 3S). I am currently able to stream video to my phone while I'm at home on my Wi-Fi connection using the "Nearby Devices" option in the phone that appears to engage DLNA. When I do this, I get the option to stream from Windows Media Player's streaming system.

My question then is how do I access my home PC information while mobile-browsing? I've got 4G service (big deal....) and would like the ability to access my home content while on the go. From my limited understanding of this goal, I see the option of using a VPN or something of that nature to create a secure connection through the computer's firewall so I can access the media server; is this going to work? Would this essentially be considered a "remote desktop" scenario? Asked another way: is a remote desktop connection a VPN?

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to pull this off. If you have suggestions, like "use this VPN and open these ports and blah blah blah", I'd need some how-to because I've never tried to do this. I know a person can buy some programs that say they will take care of doing this, but how hard can it be? It's just a client-server relationship between the phone and the PC, right? Open a port, run a secure connection, log-in, etc?? Maybe I'm over simplifying, so that's why I'm here for your expertise!
Thanks everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

One software that I have used for this is called Orb. You would install the Orb Caster software on your PC, add the media files to the Orb libraries, and then you can stream them from any internet-connected PC. They have two different Android Apps, a free one and a paid one ($9.95). I am not sure what the differences are between the two versions. It's probably at least worth taking a look at the free version to see if it fulfills your requirements.

#3 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Thanks!! I'll check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users