Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead desk-top

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hello all! I have a problem with a desktop unit. A few days ago, after having been running fine (since the installation of a new HD and a new power supply a few months ago) it suddenly gave me a blue-screen with the message 'hard error', (not 'hard-disc error', which I'd seen when my old HD died), so I rebooted. Same thing. Next reboot, it gave a message to install a system disc, and press any key, etc. Next reboot, it said it was looking at something on the floppy drive, which was empty and hadn't been used in literally years. Next time I tried to reboot, I got the same message, but it was jittering and shaking. Next reboot, it was dead.

Now I get the 'test-pattern' type block with a red, white and green bar moving up the screen and the words 'No signal' when I turn it on. Any ideas what the problem could be? When I open the case, and turn it on, the red-light on the main board is lit, and the fans run, so I assume that the power-supply is still good, as it is only about 4 months old. When the old one died, the fans would start spinning then die. As I mentioned, this time, the fans continue to spin and the LED stays on on the mainboard. That's why I thinik it may be either a part on the main board or something like the BIOS. I can feel vibrations in the HD, so I think it's still OK (it's a Seagate, so I'm hoping that it has lasted at least these past few months) Any suggestions? BTW, when I replaced the power-supply and HD, I also replaced the small coin-sized battery on the main board. Thanks!!
Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

I would replace the CMOS battery, based on my limited experience with various hardware-related error messages suddenly appearing.

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314474 .

Louis

#3 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Louis, the CMOS battery you mentioned is the small coin-sized one that I'd replaced a few months ago, on the mainboard, right? That's the only battery I'm aware of in the unit. I'll get another one and try it, but I have a feeling that's not the case here. But one never knows, batteries sit on shelves and lose their charge if not sold soon, I'd imagine, especially here, where attention to details such as maintaining fresh stock is not even conceptualized. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by PGHinBKK, 26 September 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

Yes, it's the coin-shaped/sized battery.

It may not solve anything but it's inexpensive and eliminates another possible cause.

Just remember...after changing it, enter the BIOS, elect default settings, ensure date/time is correct...save settings changed by hitting F10.

Louis

#5 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hamluis,

I'll get one today and try it. What the hell, I was planning to go to the IT mall here today anyway. and get another flash-drive for my little girl's growing movie collection...I'll let you know how it goes either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

#6 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

Hey all.

I just wwanted to close this thread out. The shop tested my unit, and swapped the HDD for another one they keep in the shop and apparently the thing fired up properly, so the verdict was that the HDD was at fault. I'll get another one and swap it to see if it is indeed the problem, but I believe them at this point. Thanks to all who helped. Living over here, you guys back in the real world have no idea how much of a comfort it is to be able to get help from people who not only know what they're talking about but who speak the same lingo.

Thanks again. If any of you ever plan a vacation to Thailand, let me know ahead of time, and the beers are on me. ;)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for providing feedback on your situation :).

Let us know if the hard drive pans out, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users