Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening Images From Search Engines

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:39 PM

Dear Readers,

Ladies reading this post -please do not be offended..what is described here was just plain boyish behavior.

Confession
While trying to avoid visiting dirty sites in my youth, I used to browse search engine image results for x rated material and just open the images that were presented...thinking that because I had not actually visited the site hosting the ladies in compromising positions, I assumed just browsing images from yahoo would be safe..

Question
is opening an image found by a search engine as risky as going to the site itself? I mean when the pic was loaded I still used to see the originating site below but of course never went near it (ie. never logged on or joined the site)..rather I just hit the back button and went on browsing. Since I have been brave and honest enough to confess here, you can trust me when I say I do not do it anymore..and ladies reading this post, sorry if you were offended, it wasn't the intention but more to inform those who do like to look at such images to take any advice following this post.

Thank you all for your understanding with such a delicate, emabarrassing topic.

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:59 PM

Clicking on a picture, say at Google Images, is not opening a picture stored on Google, but rather a link to the original source. "Below is the image in its original context(sic) on the page:. . . ." is what Google states.

The images may or not, in themselves, be safe (they are usually JPEGS) , but the page displayed is just as dangerous as if you went to the site.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 17 March 2006 - 01:00 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:13 PM

Dear Jgweed,

Thanks for the advice there, I'm sure it will help others who leap to this site.

To confirm what I interpret,

Clicking on the image displayed links to the original source which itself can begin silent downloads to the system hence causing potential harm.

Darren

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

Once you get past the thumbnails, you are actually at the website when you open the picture, and are subject to all the potential problems thereat (I always wanted to use that word).
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:36 AM

Offended? No!
Nice to hear such a gracious confession.
Boys will be boys....
Luci2a

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:37 AM

Yeah, but some boys will be boys with infected computers :thumbsup:

#7 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:56 AM

True!
There are often untoward consequences when boys are being boys..... :thumbsup:

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

Well? Is your computer having a problem we can help with?

#9 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

Dear Enthusiast,

It was but I think most of the problems have now been solved thank you for asking. I just wanted to post the question as I did have infections and was wondering if that kind of browsing could have admitted infections. Also I am sure there are people out there who will read this post and realize that you cant browse x rated material safely online.

Thanks to all who replied. Future readers be warned. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users