Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop crashed. No factory discs. Need to reformat, but how?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ry314

Ry314

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

My other laptop has become infected and wont function. It seems that the infection has blocked me from even running recovery. I restart and boot up the windows boot manager and it says,

{ Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2.Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3.Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have the disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: the boot selection failed because the required device is inaccessible.}

I'm confused. Any ideas ladies and djents?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

What laptop do you have? We would need to know both the manufacturer and the model number.

Nearly all manufacturers now include a recovery partition on the hard drive. You may be able to boot into this recovery partition and repair or restore from there. Knowing the laptop model would help, but with most I believe the default method is to repeatedly hit the F12 key while the laptop is booting.

There is probably a way to fix the issue for free, but if you would prefer to pay $10 for a recovery cd, you can buy one from http://systemdiscs.com/

#3 Ry314

Ry314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

Compaq Persario C500. I can boot up like normal but cant do anything because all applications lock up or dont work even in safe mode. So when i try to boot up the recovery partition i get said error.

#4 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

I copied the following information from a Vista recovery manual on HP's support website here

Try either of these options. The first is to try and create (burn) a set of recovery DVDs. This runs in Windows though, so you may have issues running it.

To create a set of recovery discs:
1. Select Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Manager.
Recovery Manager opens.
2. Click Advanced Options.
NOTE If you are operating the computer on battery power, you will be prompted to connect
to AC power before you can go to the next step.
3. Click Recovery disc creation, and then click Next.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If you press the F11 key while the computer is powering on and booting up from a powered off state, it should take you to the recovery manager. This boots from a separate recovery partition outside of Windows so you should not have issues with it.

You can perform a recovery from the partition on the hard drive from either the Start button or f11.
To restore the system from the partition, follow these steps:
1. Access Recovery Manager in either of the following ways:
● Select Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Manager.
● Restart the computer and press f11 while the “Press <F11> for recovery” message is displayed
on the screen. Then select Recovery Manager.
Recovery Manager opens.
2. Click Advanced Options.
3. Click System recovery, and then click Next.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hi,
I believe that the first step should be to test the hard drive as your problem could be drive problem related.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00386164&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3318985
Start the computer.
Use one of the following methods to enter the BIOS Setup utility:

If your computer was built in 2006 or later (Windows Vista or later), immediately press the F10 key. You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.
If your computer was built before 2006 (Windows XP or earlier), press the F1 key . You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.

HP Notebook PCs - Testing a Hard Disk using the Built in Self Test, This document pertains to HP and Compaq Notebook computers manufactured after 2003.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00439024&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3318986&prodTypeId=321957
Perform a Hard Drive Self Test from the BIOS
Many computer problems are related to soft failures on the hard drive. The comprehensive portion of the HP Hard Drive Self Test repairs soft errors on the hard drive, but does not report the errors. After the test completes, be sure to restart the computer to determine if the test repaired any problems you are experiencing with your computer.

If the test reveals no Problems then, How about Safe mode. When the Compaq Logo appears Press F8 and choose safe mode. Test

Also When the Compaq Logo appears Press F8 and choose repairs. Does that work? Can you then open the command prompt and run this command
chkdsk /r

Report back

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users