Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Other User" at Login

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MikeSlade586

MikeSlade586

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Here’s my dilemma (I’ll try to keep it short):

My wife restarted her computer a few nights ago - Dell XPS 1330M w/ Vista Home - and she wasn’t able to log in. She gets this “Other User” profile that shows up and we can’t get past that point.

I put the Windows DVD in and hit F12 to boot from the DVD in order to run Startup Repair. After a few minutes it prompted me to restart and it still went back to the “Other User” screen. So I restarted, hit F12 again, and it tried to repair again. It then told me that it was “unable to automatically repair” the system. Another menu popped up with a few other options on it. One option was to restore to a previous state. After selecting a restore point from the list and restarting once I was prompted to, I got the “Other User” screen again.

After doing a little research I purchased an SATA USB adapter to retrieve files using a different computer. I removed the hard drive from the computer, and hooked it up to a desktop. The desktop read the drive as it should have. However, I couldn’t access her user folder with all of the files and documents that I want to retrieve. It said “access denied”.

Now I’m stuck. We just need to get to those files because we may need to reinstall Vista, which isn’t a problem as long as we can get those files first. Is that possible? Any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

I put the Windows DVD in and hit F12 to boot from the DVD in order to run Startup Repair.

If you can open recovery console did you try system restore?

Can you launch command prompt?

#3 MikeSlade586

MikeSlade586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

I put the Windows DVD in and hit F12 to boot from the DVD in order to run Startup Repair.

If you can open recovery console did you try system restore?

Can you launch command prompt?

If the system restore is where the DVD tries to restore to an earlier version, yes I can get to that from the DVD. But after restoring was complete, I restarted and got the "other user" screen again.

Yes, I can launch command prompt. The command prompt is one of the options that can be reached from the DVD.

#4 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

You may want to try enabling the built-in Administrator account so that you can at least get logged into Windows and then work from there. I think you can download an ISO image of NT Offline Password & Registry Editor and burn the ISO image to a CD and then boot from it.

NT Offline Password & Registry Editor

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

In command prompt ,type this

bcdedit | find "osdevice"

This should you the partition in which OS has been installed.For example if it is C drive,type this

REG LOAD HKLM\TempSoft C:\Windows\System32\config\software

Now you type regedit and press <ENTER>

You should be able to launch registry editor,now go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Do you find something DEFAULT key like this?

Edited by narenxp, 25 September 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#6 MikeSlade586

MikeSlade586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

narenxp,

I followed those steps. There is no .DEFAULT under "profile list". This is what I see.

Attached File  IMG_20120925_182217.jpg   94.33KB   6 downloads

#7 MikeSlade586

MikeSlade586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

I take that back...I skipped the whole "REG LOAD..." step. I'm redoing it now.

#8 MikeSlade586

MikeSlade586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

OK...now I completed all steps and I have the same screen that is in the picture.

#9 MikeSlade586

MikeSlade586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

I was just clicking around and under HKEY_USERS and there is a .DEFAULT.
Attached File  1348613328858.jpg   81.42KB   4 downloads

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Try to enable hidden administrator account using this guide

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/102552-built-administrator-enable-winre.html

Make sure to change the drive letter accordingly.

#11 MikeSlade586

MikeSlade586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Try to enable hidden administrator account using this guide

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/102552-built-administrator-enable-winre.html

Make sure to change the drive letter accordingly.

I completed Method II because I could not log in to the computer. I restarted it and I still can't get past the "other user" screen. Would unlocking the hidden admin account allow me to plug the hard drive into the usb port and access the files that I couldn't access earlier?

Thanks for your help.

#12 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

If you're ok with backing up files and performing a clean install you can follow this guide

Plug in your external drive,boot into recovery console and copy ,paste the files to external drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/93347-copy-paste-windows-recovery-console.html

Let me know how it goes

#13 MikeSlade586

MikeSlade586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

I told her a few days ago that we would probably just need to wipe it clean and start fresh. She’s cool with that. She just didn’t want to lose her files.

I was able to retrieve the files from the drive using my dad's laptop last night. I tried using a different computer earlier yesterday and was unsuccessful. I only transferred about 90% of the files last night because I didn’t want to be awake all night. I copied them to a few of DVDs. I’m going to go and buy an external hard drive tonight just so that we can backup newly created files in the future.

I’m almost certain that she got that virus from a file sharing site because I screwed up and showed her how to download torrents about a year ago. She’s been torrent crazy ever since. Maybe now she’ll stay away from them. Hopefully I don’t run into any problems during the clean install. Thanks again for your help.

#14 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

You're welcome :)

#15 MikeSlade586

MikeSlade586
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

Update:

I did the copy/paste steps to an external hard drive I purchased last night. That went very smoothly. I did a clean install afterwards that also went smoothly. But here's the kicker....

The system saved all of the files in a folder called "windows.old". So everything that I spent HOURS transferring was saved anyway. I guess it's somewhat of a built-in backup. I wish I would've known that because I could have had this done a week ago. It's OK though because this whole ordeal forced us to save our files to an external drive.

Once again...thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users