Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ipods

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Heyoldman

Heyoldman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:51 AM

how come on the ipod box it says the battery life is 14 hours , but it only lasts about four hours?
explanation.please

Moved to a more appropriate forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 19 March 2006 - 10:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

Heyoldman,

Please excuse me for attempting to answer your query based on the fact that I have never owned an ipod.

This leads me to ask the questions:
Is there some kind of standby mode for Ipods?
Did you fully discharge the battery before charging it*...?..
Did you allow the battery to charge a full cycle?*
these are often pre-requisites to using the battery that comes with such devices.

I guess the concept of battery usage is a bit like a cellular phone..standby battery life is substantially longer than talktime battery life. I assume it also depends on how often you seek various tracks and what you have loaded on it. Remember that the more you have on the ipod, the battery still has to store it for you which could also eat away at battery life until next charge.

Alternatively, if you can install other batteries, try using high drain device batteries such as Energizer lithium-ion. We use to use regular batteries for the digital camera which would be drained in no time. Energizer lithium-ion give us a huge difference.

I was always reluctant to use rechargeables because if they get "overcharged" they lose power much quicker so I always had to watch how long they were on charge. PDA and like devices today use special technology that means you must charge the battery as often as possible since the batteries are also needed to store the information on the PDA..if they go flat or are not charged, all info on the device is lost. It may be an idea for you to re-read the battery care section of the manual to establish charging requirements and there may be a table stating battery life subject to usage..it is not beyond the realms of possibility that your expected usage of the ipod is based on what you store on it and what functions are enabled or disabled etc. etc.

Trust me, I only started reading the manual first recently..I always used to jump in with two feet and start playing only to find that I should have done X Y and Z before using my toys..

I do hope that I dont come across that I havent a clue but the truth is I really dont know in this case..this is more of an educated guess so in contrast to other replies after this answer, do take my reply as a pinch of salt.

Have you tried visiting the apple site for FAQs on ipods?..more often than not such problems are posted there which will give you a better chance of a more useful answer. Also you might have more success if you post this query under a different area on the forum. Such as for PDA's, handhelds and the like which you can find by scrolling down the various topics underneath Operating Systems. Good luck.

Darren

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

Please see these items on managing battery power. some are model specific
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:21 AM

Some types of batteries require a specific charging protocol before the first time they are used and if it is not followed the batteries become "short cycled".

Read the manual that came with your Ipod. (If you can't find it you can probably find it online under support for the item).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users